General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn cager took me down !

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,489 Likes on 4,381 Posts
Default RE: Damn cager took me down !

Bubba, Your recovery is most important... get good medical care and don't let anything (physical) not be followed up on!Sounds like you are so lucky given all the stuff you bashed into.

No one has mentioned it yet I think, but if her ins. co. has not even responded...wow!, call your State Insurance Commissioner's assistance line and they should flat out lower the boom on that company and the Ins. Comm. may be able to stay involved to see this through if that co. is on their watch list. Beyond that... your physical injuries may be a huge, huge issue that goes farbeyond insurance. In most states, and in simple accidents with just property damage it's preferable not to give away 1/3 to an atty., but in your case... whew, you at least need a consult session with an attorney to assess probabilities. Take care, heal well!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow - glad you made it through to tell your story.

Take it easy and get better.

"That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"

Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Suemann
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow......glad it wasn't worse and you will be alright eventually!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
ClinesSelect
Tourer

Very sorry to hear and I hope you have a full recovery.

The gentleman below is absolutely correct. I believe the SC min limits just wentincreased to 25/50/25 up from 15/30/10 for new policies or renewals after Jan 1.

ORIGINAL: bubbas1

Sorry to hear about you getting hit.

I see alot of people here say get a lawyer. I would say wait a few more days. You filed a claim already but her ins company probably dosent even have the accident report yet. No way would they talk about settling anything up without seeing the police report to make sure there client was in the wrong. (which clearly she is).
Lets say you get a lawyer and the lady ends up carrying the min ins. Now subtract the 33% lawyer fee plus the paperwork fee they charge and you wont be left with much. If the lady is carrying the min in the 1st place (or close to it) you know she dosent have a pot to **** in equity wise.
If it was me I would either call up her agent and ask what the status is or call directly to the main hq office to find out. Check with your state ins office (govt agency) to see how many complaints they have had against this ins company and you should get an idea on how you will be treated. 1st see what they offer you for your bike. If its agood price and you want to settle that portion get the paperwork and pay to have a lawyer look it over to make sure you are not signing away any rights to make a claim on your injurys. If that goes well then see what they offer you for the injurys. Then do the same thing..if its to your liking..have a lawyer look it over before signing anything. Personnaly I would wait on the injury part because it dosent sound to good with you having permanent ringing and no taste. You dont want to get short changed and you need to know the full extent of your injuries.
If at any step of the way you feel you are getting the shaft from the ins company...get a lawyer to take over for you.
With or without a lawyer itcould be awhile before you see any compensation. It sucks.

Hope everything works out for you whatever way you decide to handle it.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry about the crash. but trust me get a lawyer.dont mess with it let him deal with it . and tell him to be the biggest A--whole in the world . and stick to your guns.i was there a year and half ago and they got by light.and now i'm lucky to bend over.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell, one reason I bought my Road King was for the three big ligts!! Might have to add two more!

If you wouldn't mind, updates along the way might be nice. Chances are , one of us might be in that predicament in the future.

Heal well.....both of ya.

Respect to all.....

Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Our thoughts and prayers are with you on a speedy recovery...
Glad your going to be able to ride another day...

Old 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Glad your ok. Can you imagine if you weren't wearing a helmet?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

Thoughts & best wishes go out to ya!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
stratcat
Stage I

One of my oldest freinds was hit head on as he was coming down Rich mountain (Western Arkansas). The driver of a jeep was WAY over the center line coming through a sharp curve. He hit my buddy head on, and my freind died 3 days later from the injuries he sustained. The driver of the jeep was given a ticket, yeah, a TICKET, for being left of center. My buddy left two girls and his wife behind. This kind of stuff will continue to happen until cagers are held responsible for their actions. It's my opinion that if a cager violates the right of way to a motorcycle and causes an accident, they should lose their licence for AT LEAST a year. They suspend drivers licences for DUI/DWI, or refusal to submit to a test. Shouldn't the penalties for hitting a motorcycle be at least as harsh?

Quick Reply: Damn cager took me down !