General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn cager took me down !

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 AM
darkside
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Damn cager took me down !

Sorry to hear that but am glad your doing reasonably well ,all things considered.Get a lawyer and get well soon.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

Sorry to here about the POS hittin you. Like others have said get a good lawyer. Glad you will live to ride another day.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy Cow! What a dreadful description... so glad you're here to talk about it. All will come out in the wash, just get yourself better and get back on the road!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 AM
wolf1477
Road Master

Glad you came thru it in one piece and are able to relate the story. Broken elbows are *no* fun (shattered mine twice) but it will heal and the bike can be replaced.

Wolf, and Dave, that just looks painful beyond words.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:36 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

What a crummy deal ! Heal quick and get back on the road .

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Said here already,

You want to get the insurance company's attention, get a lawyer!!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Motogo
Road Captain

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I had a close call Saturday. But hell , thats nuthin new.[]

Damn cagers.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Saturday night about 900, after riding all day, wsa within 3 miles of home , running about 35 and this idiot decides she's going to pull out of a parking lot in a hurry to beat oncoming traffic. Only problem was, I was already where she wanted to go. She hit my front wheel and crashbar, driving my right crashbar against my engine, nearly taking my leg. My bike took her bumper off. She threw me into a car coming the opposite direction and my bike and I took its bumper grill and left fender off. In the meantime, I am propelled over the second car and land about 25 feet from the initial point of impact. My wife was following in the car behind with a friend who is a RN. I was out for about 5 minutes. Trip to hospital and badly bruised , cracked left elbow, sever bruising of left knee, crack in right lower leg and severe bruising of my azz. Got a permanent headache and ringing in my ears. Food has no taste. I have no appetite.

Her excuse? She didn't see me ! With a very bright headlight, 2 bright passing lights and loud pipes, along with lights on my saddlebag rails, she should have seen me ! What she meant was " I didn't look'. To top it off, she's got some crappy "Direct" insurance company that has a claims adjuster located 2 damn time zones away and they have yet to call me back after I filed a claim with them.

My bike saved my azz. She might have given hers up, but she saved mine. I know lots of folks like to ride without a lid, but I never have and certainly was glad to have had it on Saturday. Watch for cars pulling out and at least think about wearing your lid.

Ride Safe

Stiff and sore Bubba
Bubba,

Sorryto hear about your accident, but glad you are able to tell us about it. DO NOT talk to this lady's insurance company.Do yourself a favor andcall Russ Brown attorneys. Heal up and take care!

DJK

Old 03-01-2007, 07:33 AM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about you getting hit.

I see alot of people here say get a lawyer. I would say wait a few more days. You filed a claim already but her ins company probably dosent even have the accident report yet. No way would they talk about settling anything up without seeing the police report to make sure there client was in the wrong. (which clearly she is).
Lets say you get a lawyer and the lady ends up carrying the min ins. Now subtract the 33% lawyer fee plus the paperwork fee they charge and you wont be left with much. If the lady is carrying the min in the 1st place (or close to it) you know she dosent have a pot to **** in equity wise.
If it was me I would either call up her agent and ask what the status is or call directly to the main hq office to find out. Check with your state ins office (govt agency) to see how many complaints they have had against this ins company and you should get an idea on how you will be treated. 1st see what they offer you for your bike. If its agood price and you want to settle that portion get the paperwork and pay to have a lawyer look it over to make sure you are not signing away any rights to make a claim on your injurys. If that goes well then see what they offer you for the injurys. Then do the same thing..if its to your liking..have a lawyer look it over before signing anything. Personnaly I would wait on the injury part because it dosent sound to good with you having permanent ringing and no taste. You dont want to get short changed and you need to know the full extent of your injuries.
If at any step of the way you feel you are getting the shaft from the ins company...get a lawyer to take over for you.
With or without a lawyer itcould be awhile before you see any compensation. It sucks.

Hope everything works out for you whatever way you decide to handle it.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
crash1292
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope you heal up fast.....took 2 years to settle my claim and I only missed 3 weeks of work...but i did get enough to buy a 07 ultra(see sig) and 5k worth of stuff to put on it

Quick Reply: Damn cager took me down !