General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is it to you to buy HD aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts
Default How important is it to you to buy HD aftermarket parts?

Not including seats and pipes in this discussion but how do you all feel about aftermarket parts on your bikes such as chrome, grips, floorboards, sissy bars etc?

Do you think it's worth the extra to buy HD parts which look 'right' or are you happy to save the money and go with other makes? Do the chromes match up or are do you regret the cheaper options you went with?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost everything "aftermarket" on my bike is NOT from HD.
HD doesnt have a Custom line of parts.

HD makes parts to replace OEM equipment, not necessarily customize your ride.

So no, HD is not on the list of aftermarket options.
Plus, the parts I choose to customize my bike often cost more than HD and are of better quality so to me its worth it....

I may have completely missed the point of your post....sorry if I did.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

^ I'm with stupid.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you really look at a lot of Harley parts. let take mirrors for example. you can find at times the same exact mirrors made my drag specialties for example. the Harley tear drop mirrors are sold by drag specialties with out the Harley logo on them for about 25% less.
I personally don't look for a specific brand of after market part. what I do look at is. the quality of the part, where its made, easy of install depending on what it is. and the general over all look. like im looking at some engine chrome. you can get the Harley or kury. to me the Harley stuff is simple not a lot of frills. just straight up chrome parts. which is what I want I don't like the ribbed looking stuff with skulls etc. so to me there are a lot of factors I look at

Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

guess I meant replacement parts but say you wanna change your levers or Derby cover (just an example) do you prefer HD or would you buy from another manufacturer and then wish you hadn't because they were cheaper?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a set of billet lever from someone other then halrey because they didn't make what I was looking for. I personally only buy what I really want for my bike. I will not put something on I even think I might want to change out later. the way I see it if price is an issue learn to save the money for what you really want or don't buy it at all

Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Heritage10508
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my grips, levers and shift linkage is all from Kuryakyn. It saying "HD" on it means absolutely nothing to me. I love HD, but don't really care to spend the stealerships price on the parts. I'm also going to put Kuryakyn ISO boards and highway pegs on my Heritage

Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM
weismanak
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rarely do I use HD parts, except if I"m pinned (no one else makes one), but those are far and few. No, I almost exclusively buy other manufacturers... It seems that you add a 15% increase in cost, just to have the bar and shield on it.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Depends on the part. I actually liked the HD spring seat option best for my bike. It's a definite change from stock, so their parts are not just to replace something broken on your bike. My OEM panhead emblems, though discontinued, are the same -- a Harley resourced part that I liked best on my bike.

Most everything else on my bike is non Harley. But I didn't consciously go that way. I just picked what I like, as long as it was quality, regardless of maker.

One thing about HD parts, NEVER buy them retail from your local dealer. Just too overpriced, IMHO. Go surdyke.com, or Ebay. (Where I got my seat and saved hundreds).

I don't regret buying aftermarket, or HD.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

....... I Buy what I Like , don't need HD on-it .

Quick Reply: How important is it to you to buy HD aftermarket parts?