General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Opinions

I'm wanting a dyno tune. The only option near me is my local dealer (small town). I asked my local indy his opinion and he says take it a different dealer that is 3 hours away as they do a better job. He hates the local dealer for obvious reasons such as competitions etc. How much a difference would two HD dealers be at dyno tuning in your opinion? Are there some questions I can ask the local dealer to see what kind of job he will do? I'm trying to avoid driving 3 hours one way to get it done and hope it's right because if it isn't, I'm not likely going back any time soon.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

I've never had a bike dynoed, but just like anything else, to get it done right it by someone who knows what they are doing would be worth the ride. Especially compared to the aggravation and waste of time and money to have it done half-assed.
Look at this: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...our-tuner.html

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
I'm wanting a dyno tune. The only option near me is my local dealer (small town). I asked my local indy his opinion and he says take it a different dealer that is 3 hours away as they do a better job. He hates the local dealer for obvious reasons such as competitions etc. How much a difference would two HD dealers be at dyno tuning in your opinion? Are there some questions I can ask the local dealer to see what kind of job he will do? I'm trying to avoid driving 3 hours one way to get it done and hope it's right because if it isn't, I'm not likely going back any time soon.
YOU go/interview the dyno-tune-Guy for yourself... What equipment do they use (Dyno-Jet/TTS MasterTune)... Look at their shop/tools/benches/trash/rollers/chocks/fans and ask if you can watch... Ask for references and CHECK THEM... NOTE: A dyno-tune can seriously stress your bike... Be sure everything is up-to-snuff mechanically (compensator, IPB/Main/door-bearings, tensioner, clutch...) and bring the bike in with all new quality oil... Ask to see some of the results/dyno-sheets...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if Doc1 is still around? I sent him an email, but I see that he hasn't posted since 2009.

Shakey

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Shakey, google Docs performance tuning in Florida. You'll find his site and then be able to contact him.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Does anyone know if Doc1 is still around? I sent him an email, but I see that he hasn't posted since 2009.

Shakey

Doc's Performance Tuning in Minneola, FL
352-404-6999

DocsPerformanceTuning.com

He JUST got out of the hospital but I know he is back in the shop...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderDude
YOU go/interview the dyno-tune-Guy for yourself... What equipment do they use (Dyno-Jet/TTS MasterTune)... Look at their shop/tools/benches/trash/rollers/chocks/fans and ask if you can watch... Ask for references and CHECK THEM... NOTE: A dyno-tune can seriously stress your bike... Be sure everything is up-to-snuff mechanically (compensator, IPB/Main/door-bearings, tensioner, clutch...) and bring the bike in with all new quality oil... Ask to see some of the results/dyno-sheets...
I"m going Saturday to talk to the guy. Keep in mind this is my HD dealership so as far as tools/shop etc.. it's all good stuff and his shop is spotless. I don't know much about dyno'ing so I can't really interview him with anything too technical.

Why does a dyno tune "seriously stress your bike"? I thought it was to make it run perfect?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have thoughts on Skip's Cycles in Winchester Va.? I have read a lot of good stuff about them and they seem to have a good reputation.

Shakey

Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
FLHTK
Tourer

WestPalmBop, where in Ontario are you located?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
Why does a dyno tune "seriously stress your bike"? I thought it was to make it run perfect?
The Dyno Tec will run thru the gears pretty hard on different pulls. But he isn't really doing anything that your bike shouldn't be able to take anyway. If he is a good Tec, he will not exceed your bikes limitations.

Quick Reply: Dyno Opinions