General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxidation on bolts - ideas for recourse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:24 PM
Gray
|
Novice
Default Oxidation on bolts - ideas for recourse?

I bought a brand new (in the crate new) '07 Dyna Bob Aug. 06 and "within 2 months" of purchase around 100 of the bolts/nuts are already oxidized to the point of embarrasment!. The bike had never been wet (except from when the dealer first washed it), not ridden in rain/snow, not at the beach, and not even stored outside. Parked in my attached garage along with my bicycles (which they had been there for 1.5 years now) and only thing showing oxidation is the Harley. I have tried many products to clean them and none work all that well, plus it's impractical as many are to hard to get too, to tought to clean with the angles and indentations and/or in to dangerous of a place where I could damage other paint. Not to mention it would take me perhaps all day to clean the thing. It's just crazy! I got all the standard run around from Harley, and the dealer, on replacing the parts but they refuse - saying "cosmetic" issues are not covered by warranty. Plus they are trying to claim it's my fault (either I left it wet, rode thru "something" or I'm too stupid to clean it). So they are screwing me and costing me time/money and resale value because of this. That's OK though cause they are gonna lose more in the long run - for starters the new Screaming Eagle exhaust I was gonna buy/have dealer install - nope! Now buying aftermarket and will find independent (but certified) Harley mechanic. That should about "pay" for the screws and my wasted time. Next they will be "paying" for my lost resale value.

I have also talked to several other people that have the same problem, with same run-around from Harley. One guy even approached me at the dealer with the same problem...plus I called a certain company (which I won't name) for something to place over the bolts and hide the oxidation and the salesperson I spoke to had the same problem on his new Harley - even said he was so disguested with way Harley handled (or didn't handle) the whole issue that he "couldn't care less if Harley went out of business today - as the 2 million or so bikes on the road would keep him in business a long time".

So, any ideas on getting Harley to cough-up the $$$ for replacement bolts and labor?

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:27 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Default RE: Oxidation on bolts - ideas for recourse?

Yes...try a gun and a mask.

Damn the Man!

Make them pay!

I probably should say this is a joke...DO NOT use a gun and a mask...that probably won't end up so well.

Just a thought.

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:29 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Get hot toppers. 110 bucks will cover about all the zinc bolts etc.

lp

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:32 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

one problem after another with this company,,,,I guess your not "whinning"???i

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:33 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

Happens to all of them. Pay up and get chrome bolts.

Old 02-27-2007 | 10:45 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

try putting a piece of plastic between the bottom of your jiffy stand and the concrete floor

Old 02-27-2007 | 11:01 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

build a oxygen free room

Old 02-27-2007 | 11:16 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

Bro, I can relate. My '02 FLHTwas perfect until I made a temporary move to the coast. Within 8 weeks, my forks pitted, all the bolts turned a dingy grey, rust popped out on the bag guards, the 'polished' parts of the wheels pitted, and the engine cases stained. I rode the bike every day and cleaned/waxed not less than twice a week and made no headway with the cosmetic deterioration. The local dealer said 'Normal'. I'm not sure I will buy another new HD because of this. I may buy a used one and spend the saved $ on the necessary improvements to bring it up to the specs that is should have been originally built to. I know there has to be a lot of other touring riders that have experienced the same issues, especially if they have been caught in inclement weather....

Old 02-27-2007 | 11:28 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

Get a night train and paint it all black.

Old 02-27-2007 | 11:36 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

Your right, the painted parts seem to have no problems...

Quick Reply: Oxidation on bolts - ideas for recourse?