General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Love for the Wide Glide and Blackline

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts
Default No Love for the Wide Glide and Blackline

I went to 4 dealers today in the Bay Area. DP, Oakland, Livermore, and SJ. The choice here seems to be sportsers, slims, touring, and street bobs and the rest of the softail line.

I dont understand, I thought Choppers were cool? other than the Breakout that is more of a drag style.

When I first bought my Road Glide they were very unpopular at the time. Now every swinging dick has one.

Every sales person told me that they are not popular bikes. Anyone experiencing this problem in your area.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Blackline didn't do so well.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts

Saw a few Blacklines at dealers, not sure I've ever seen one on the road. Dealers always have a Wide Glide or 2 on the floor, and I've seen a few on the road.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I loved the snot out of my 2000 wide glide, but I have zero love for these new wide glides at all my next bike will be a switch back or a super glide custom depending on which will come closest to what I want to build. but that may be ten years down the road or something like that.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

There're was one BL at the dealership when I got mine...a green one...which is not the one I wanted.

I guess they didn't do that good, since HD is killing it next year. Oh well, it was the only one I liked. If they didn't have it, I really don't know which one I would have gotten.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my wide glide. Best bike they make in my opinion. I wasn't limited in budget when I bought this last time and could have bought about anything I wanted and the wide glide was it. I have always loved the wide glides, but since they changed them I think they are better than ever.

The only thing I like about the black line is the old school look the motor has with the black jugs and silver heads. I think that looks really sharp.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

There is always at least one if not more FXDWG at the dealerships I go to.

But that black line, I was not a fan of that model. To me it looked like HD had a bunch of black parts they couldn't sell so they just threw them together and made a bike out of them. The one I saw a year or 2 ago at the dealership had a flat black inner primary cover and a gloss black outer primary cover. Total turn off for me. I need things to match. (no offense to anyone who owns one, I'm just saying it's not the bike for me, to each their own)

Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I personally don't like the current WG. I was a fan of the duck tail. Hopefully they'll bring it back to the bike.

I'd really like to see the Lowrider make a return.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

The Wide Glide is the nicest bike in the Dyna line. Or should I say was. The new ones are ok, but they lost that classic look the older WG's had. It just isn't the same without the bobtail rear fender and the mini apes. I would have understood the styling change if HD kept the Softail Custom in production because the two bikes were similar in some ways and if not for the rear shocks of the WG, most people would have a difficult time determining which was which from a distance. Anyhow, I think the new WG's just aren't as appealing as the older ones were. If they're not selling as well, maybe that's why.

I thought the Blackline would sell better than it did. There's some things I really like about the bike, and other things I'm kind of in between on. The Breakout I'm not a big fan of. I like the rake and the fat 21" front tire, but that's about it. Neither of these two bikes compare to the Softail Custom. HD took a few steps backwards here.

Isn't the Softail Slim pretty much the same as the Fat Boy Lo except with an ugly rear fender? I guess some people like that chopped rear fender. On some bikes I think it's ok, just doesn't look good on this bike.

Everyone and their mother has a touring bike now, and I'm surprised at how many dudes that barely ride own them. If you're putting on the miles, it's probably a good choice, otherwise why bother. Never liked the looks of bikes with farings and never felt I needed a huge dash board with a stereo on a bike. That said, if I had to choose a bike with a faring it would be the Road Glide. The Road King is another story, you can always pop the windshield off.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 2006 Wide Glide. I hate the new ones.

Quick Reply: No Love for the Wide Glide and Blackline