General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Love for the Wide Glide and Blackline

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

The new WG is a great bike to ride, but it looks out of proportion--the rear end is too short & stubby for the rest of the bike.

Their last few Softails are basically "parts bin" bikes. With the exception of the Slim, which is awesome except for that DAMN BOBBED FENDER AGAIN, the Blackline, Rocker,Crossbones,Breakout,etc. Look like they have been cobbled together as an afterthought.

Don't understand the MoCo's logic--Dump the NightTrain & Softail Custom & bring out the Blackline & Breakout. Just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy who has a 2008 WG thought HD changed the newer WGs to reduce the MSRP since most are going to replace a bunch of parts anyway.

It or the Blackline did nothing for me looks wise.
In 1984, the WG is what got me wanting to replace the Honda I was riding at the time. I ended up falling in love with the 1986 FXSTC which I still own.

I actually thought the Blackline looked cheap when I saw one sitting at the dealer. It sat for quite awhile with no one purchasing it. It might still be there for all I know.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Thanks for the input. I think the biggest appeal I have with them is that they are an unpopular choice. So they are rarer than what you see on the road.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,915 Likes on 4,971 Posts

I think the WG is the most bike for the buck right now, love the looks, could see a raked triple tree, and some slammed rear shocks, with a few do-dads and Voila! a really cool bike!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Love my new WG I hate the old ones . I did not mind the tail fender on the nightrain but the older WG fender was silly looking however its better than the fat bob rear fender. I think what they should have done is maybe just made the new wideglide a different name and kept the old wideglide but I would not have baught the old style wideglide personally.

Originally Posted by Cat Mech
I love my 2006 Wide Glide. I hate the new ones.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
There is always at least one if not more FXDWG at the dealerships I go to.

But that black line, I was not a fan of that model. To me it looked like HD had a bunch of black parts they couldn't sell so they just threw them together and made a bike out of them. The one I saw a year or 2 ago at the dealership had a flat black inner primary cover and a gloss black outer primary cover. Total turn off for me. I need things to match. (no offense to anyone who owns one, I'm just saying it's not the bike for me, to each their own)

Same here...the Blackline looked to me like it was cobbled together from crates of leftover parts...it gets no love from me.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
RapidHamster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a '95 WG, but like the look of the new ones as well. The dealerships in DFW all have plenty of WGs.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded a 03 WideGlide for a 2012 WG road it two weeks and traded it .
Just not a WideGlide in my book . I got lucky and found a guy looking to buy a new WG and we did a trade . He had a very nice low mile 08 WideGlide that is now mine .

Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I loved the old 80's wide glides before the Dyna. I really like the FXSTC with an EVO. Any of them are what I compare to all other Harleys. To me the solid mounted unbalanced EVO is the most fun to ride. But that is just me. I have loved the Softail standard and Custom ever since they came out in 84. But they changed alot in 2,000. Still not a bad looking machine though. My 99 just has a feel that makes you smile as soon as the wheels start to turn.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the older wide glides. I think they should have kept it and called the newer one something else.

Quick Reply: No Love for the Wide Glide and Blackline