General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in leather quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Differences in leather quality

Looking at classic leather jackets. I need a tall size so I'm somewhat limited. Fox Creek has beautiful jackets but for $455. Jamin Leather has the same jacket for $130. I'm sorry but I don't own any clothing that costs $455 and I'm having a hard time justifing the cost. But, I don't want to be disapointed and ask everyone out there if they can add a non-biased opinion of what makes theFC jacket better. I'm not concerned about foreign made. We better all get use to that for most of our things. Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

Thanks...

Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Differences in leather quality

I have two jackets from Fox Creek and the leather is HEAVY and top notch. Thinkabout it only costing you $22.75/year spread out over 20 years......

Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a Fox Creek jacket and vest - they are both awesome. In fact, I took my vest to a leather shop to have some patches put on and the guy was commenting on the quality of theleather and the attention to detail. The jacket (Classic) is made of extremely heavy leather - it weighs about 9 lbs. and is made in the USA.

I think you get what you pay for!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely get what you pay for in leather. I'm stillwearing a "Branded Leather"riding jacket I bought 16 years ago. It's been completelysoaked many times in rainstorms, been baked in 100+ temperatures,and is still in very good condition. I've owned a couple of cheap leather dress jackets and would never buy another.

http://www.800branded.com/

Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my jacket in Korea from a vendor on the street. the jacket weighs around 9 pounds and cost me about $75. That was almost 20 years ago. I still wear it it's been through hell and back but it is still in great shape.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

points of consideration: cut of leather, thickness, assembly/workmanship
I endorse FC for many reasons:
quality 'vs' price = value
great customer service
american made

you said "Jamin Leather has the same jacket for $130. I'm sorry but I don't own any clothing that costs $455 and I'm having a hard time justifing the cost."

my .02 - what are you considering a jacket for? looks/protection? what price is your own hid (skin) worth?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
chuckyl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience there is quite a difference in quality in leather jackets. Youmight want to look at Legendary USA as they have some pretty good prices on quality jackets even Schott and they have Long sizes too. I've had my Schott forever.
Chuck

Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think when it comes to jackets it's true you get what you pay for. Over the life of a "good" jacket the cost is probably no more and perhaps even less than the life of a cheap jacket. Also, to me there is the pride factor every time you put it on. That can be important because whatever you buy you're going to probably live with it a long time.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tucker99
Fox Creek has beautiful jackets but for $455. Jamin Leather has the same jacket for $130. I'm sorry but I don't own any clothing that costs $455 and I'm having a hard time justifing the cost. I'm not concerned about foreign made.
Thanks...
Since you are not concerned about foreign made,save yourself the $325 and buy the Jamin.
All jackets are not the same even if they look the same.
I bought a nice looking jacket for $99.I wore it a few years until the zipper went south.Then I bought a jacket from a well known leather store.The cost was about $300 more but the quality and fit are well above the cheap jacket I bought first.
It's your money!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on FC jackets but I can put in my $0.02 on their chaps and they are top notch. I had a local leather shop taken them in since I ordered them 2" long to make sure they'd fit and the guy complimented me on the quality and thickness of the leather and the workmanship of the product.

Quick Reply: Differences in leather quality