Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much time to buy Harley extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much time to buy Harley extended warranty?

How much time do you have after buying a new bike do you have to buy the Harley extended warranty with out any surcharge?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:41 AM
dlwilson72
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 20 Posts

before the original warranty ends. 2 years

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dlwilson72
before the original warranty ends. 2 years
I believe this is correct: It must be purchased before factory basic warranty expires. If you go to the dealer to purchase, there is some profit margin built in to MSRP of the warranty. I suggest you speak directly to the finance manager, he/she may have the ability to discount the price.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it must be done before the original warranty expires. I would have bought it for mine but the warranty had expired 3 months prior to me buying it. The dealership had no alternatives available, and 5 years later, it's just as well. I never had a problem that they would have covered.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
m4s8j4t0b5p7x9e2h7k6v3r2z
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon195
How much time do you have after buying a new bike do you have to buy the Harley extended warranty with out any surcharge?
As mentioned in a previous thread, you can shop around to find the best price on an extended warranty by contacting any dealer in any of the 50 states to get a price quote. You don't have to buy it from your local dealer and you shouldn't buy it from them if their price is high. Prices vary greatly from dealer to dealer. In the song titled "Sweet Child O' Mine" you'll hear Axl Rose sing the line "Where do we go now?" Answer: When it comes to getting the best price on an extended warranty, you tell old Axl you're goin' window shopping!!

Last edited by m4s8j4t0b5p7x9e2h7k6v3r2z; 07-05-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Save your money. It is just a profit center for the dealer. You will never get as much out of it as you pay for it. That's why they sell them (and push people to buy them). If the dealer/warranty company was losing money on them (i.e., if you got more in services than you pay for the warranty), they wouldn't offer them.

You will get lots of "it gives me peace of mind" responses, but that has never made sense to me. Take the money you would spend on the warranty and put it in the bank. You can use it if the bike needs repair (they are much more durable and trouble free than reading the forum may suggest) and if not, you have your money. Now that is peace of mind.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Save your money. It is just a profit center for the dealer. You will never get as much out of it as you pay for it. That's why they sell them (and push people to buy them). If the dealer/warranty company was losing money on them (i.e., if you got more in services than you pay for the warranty), they wouldn't offer them.

You will get lots of "it gives me peace of mind" responses, but that has never made sense to me. Take the money you would spend on the warranty and put it in the bank. You can use it if the bike needs repair (they are much more durable and trouble free than reading the forum may suggest) and if not, you have your money. Now that is peace of mind.
Good advice. Years ago, the dealer I worked for said that they calculated an average expense on extended warranty at 150$ per car. That means that if every car had a failure, they expect to spend 150$ on average to fix it. Now we all know that every one doesn't, some have none, and some have many. Remember that you paid 1500-2000 bucks for that piece of mind, and they only figure in 150$ per vehicle. It is, in fact a profit deal. As mentioned above, put that money in the bank, and save it for potential repairs. Even if I had bought an extended warranty, it would have been a big loser for me. Last year I did the cam plate upgrade and a compensator. Even if warranty would have covered it (and they wouldn't have done the plate upgrade) that would have been less than the price of the extended warranty.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call your dealer. I just added the ESP with wheel and tire coverage to my 2009 Bones which is obviously well out of the original warranty. AND I went in with a set price and after some "negotiation", they agreed to my price.

Yes, I know they still made a few bucks, but all it takes is one tranny failure or a trip into the cam chest to recoup my money. And as long is there is 3/32 tread left on the tire, road hazard damages/failures are covered.

Peace of mind? Yep, for me, anyway.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM
obidio
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Yes, it must be done before the original warranty expires. I would have bought it for mine but the warranty had expired 3 months prior to me buying it. The dealership had no alternatives available, and 5 years later, it's just as well. I never had a problem that they would have covered.
You can sure buy an Esp after the factory warranty expires but it will cost more. Make sure to haggle. As for the peace of mind, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I have had an engine blow out on a ford f150 and a tranny go out on a chevy. In both cases i had no protection. Blew a chunk of my savings on 2 DEPRECIATING assets!! Pissed me off.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by obidio
You can sure buy an Esp after the factory warranty expires but it will cost more. Make sure to haggle. As for the peace of mind, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I have had an engine blow out on a ford f150 and a tranny go out on a chevy. In both cases i had no protection. Blew a chunk of my savings on 2 DEPRECIATING assets!! Pissed me off.
Not trying to start and argument, but the dealer I bought mine from said no way, no how. But things may have changed....

Quick Reply: How much time to buy Harley extended warranty?