General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aren't some pipes just loud with crappy performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I haven't noticed any loss of power. I can still get to 65 pretty fast, which is the speed of the highway in front of my job. And there's no problem cruising at 70-75 for miles and miles. But, it isn't and will never be as quick and fast as a crotch rocket. And it's fairly loud going through 1st to 4th, especially if you give it a lot of gas.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM
RhoXS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Better to have less thunder in the pipe and more lightning in the throttle"
- modified Apache proverb

Seriously, sound for the sake of sound is worthless to me...sound that's a by-product of the performance enhancements I make is just fine. I prefer quiet when doing long tours.

Last edited by RhoXS; 07-05-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM
GeorgiaGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VH I tried were loud and no loss or improvement in performance. The rush slip ones were earsplitting with a loss in performance and lower mileage. Sellem cheap to ya

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by RaSh
While we are on the subject, and the following is for EVO's, I'd like some opinions.

My understanding is that the stock pipes are reasonable for EVO's even those that are modded into the 90 H.P. range, slightly and carefully "opened" up pipes are a bit better (Not really sure what this means, I take it to mean don't go overboard.), and properly designed 2 into 1 pipes are best.

I have a bagger Stage 1, will most likely add an aftermarket cam, and have Port-flow headwork done, along with higher compression pistons, new rings, valves, gaskets, etc.

Only 64k on it, and it runs and starts well. but it smokes a bit, and both jugs have matching 125 PSI compression. I'm thinking that it might be a little tired. Winter work this year, or the next.
What year bike ? Makes a difference on the advice .

Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,892 Likes on 4,968 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Drag pipes are generally poor performers.
not at wide open throttle!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
What year bike ? Makes a difference on the advice .
1989 FLHS, I did change out the carb to a CV type, re-jetted and new sporty needle. Polished the intake to take out the uneven mold interface lines, Big Sucker intake, etc. And it will get the other mods at some point in the future.

Thanks. Looking forward to input, I want to make improvements without being stupid about it.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Pre 95 is what I needed to know , the evo upper end went through a few changes trying to get the head breather system right which they never really nailed . What you want to do is common and with a bit of smoking I'm guessing it's valves at this point and inspect them closely early years sometimes cracked between the plug hole & exhaust seat . Also if it's coming down have the cases looked at those had a few issues with hairline cracks too .

Decent compression for the age and as long as she's not fouling plugs or losing power keep riding , she'll tell you when it's time .

Old 07-06-2013, 01:32 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would eventually like to add another 20-30% loudness, nothing to bother the neighbors but enough so some distracted driver will at least hear me if he's not paying enough attention to see me. But I'm happy with the ride/performance so I'll probably focus on other things in the near yerm.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
nsanerod
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the comments about being a cruiser owner and therefore owning a slow bike. I purposefully bought a Harley to slow down. After my son was born I decided to give up on speed... at least on a bike.

With that said, allow me speak from the other side of my mouth. 2 into 1 provides the best scenario for atmosphere where exhaust leaves the head. With proper back pressure you will have better performance. And, if you bolt on a turbo you can create a huge amount of atmosphere to give you a ton of ponies.

I read Donny Peterson's book (well, I skimmed the parts of interest). He says to modify your air intake and slap on a 2 into 1. Best performance bang for your buck. I have a VH Big Radius 2 into 1 along with a SE air breather. I had it tuned and it gave me a little extra sound and some extra ponies. I have to say I enjoy hearing some Rineharts true duals rumble by, but I just can't do it knowing the loss of performance.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Decent compression for the age and as long as she's not fouling plugs or losing power keep riding , she'll tell you when it's time .
Had a break in this near constant rain and have been out riding so I haven't really come back to this for a while.

This is where I am at right now.

When I acquired my ride I did all the necessary age related upgrades to the suspension, tires, brakes, and improved the breathing, upgraded to a CV carb, etc., while noting that it blows a little smoke at times and that the compression though even is starting to get low.
But my bike starts and runs great,with no quirks or reliability issues, so it's hard to justify tearing it down at this point.

Good advice to wait until she speaks to me. Thanks.

Last edited by RaSh; 07-08-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: punctuation

Quick Reply: Aren't some pipes just loud with crappy performance?