General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aren't some pipes just loud with crappy performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by acman308
I ran some rush slip ons without baffles for a few thousand miles.

Everyone told me it would kill performance / make bike run bad etc.

Truth of what happend i probably lost just a little performance or people had me so convinced that it was i just thought it did.

It certainly didn't make this major change everyone said it would and the bike ran fine. I put the lolipop inserts in after a few k and was "convinced" i got the performance back.

Call me obnoxious and stupid i thought it was funny setting off car alarms 30 feet away at idle.

I'm sure you loose more with shorter pipes but enough to really matter i'm not convinced. Not like these are sport bikes to start with.

With the big radius and tuner the bike does run better but it's a far cry from loud imo.

That is the classic owner denial mindset with guys who just like making noise . Not knocking you bud but the dyno numbers tell a whole different story your going to loose ponies somewhere in the RPM range just a matter or where with which brand & design .

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
That's "generally" true for your low and mid range riding, but they work real well at WOT, which, for some is where they want their performance. To get some of the low and mid range back, you can use the old bolt or "lollypop" trick, or slip in KW baffles. Or course, what exhaust works for best performance depends on "your" engine.

One thing's for sure, if you're runnin' stock exhaust, you are NOT getting optimum performance.

Very true with shovelheads , not so much with evo's & twinkies . Head flow characteristics on those do not like straights , why you rarely see them on those bikes .

Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
............ 'Typically' horsepower numbers will increase.........
Yes, and typically only at wide open throttle & higher RPM.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,069 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Very true with shovelheads , not so much with evo's & twinkies . Head flow characteristics on those do not like straights , why you rarely see them on those bikes .
True. An EVO or TWINKY would be best served (again, depending on engine mods.) with a quality performance pipe or slip-on.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mpg increase

I went from stock with the baffles removed to SE slip-on's. After 40 years in heavy industry my ear drums are beat up, and I don't need the loud noise anymore. After the switch I got a 10% increase in MPG. I didn't expect that.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide
I went from stock with the baffles removed to SE slip-on's. After 40 years in heavy industry my ear drums are beat up, and I don't need the loud noise anymore. After the switch I got a 10% increase in MPG. I didn't expect that.
I actually hear the SE slip ons are pretty good performers. Among the best if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM
obidio
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I actually hear the SE slip ons are pretty good performers. Among the best if I'm not mistaken.
How do se's compare to Rush slipons?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
XL-Power
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 07 Sportster 1250 with V&H shortshots I lost much power from 2-3500 rpms, swaped those "tubes" with a D&D bobcat and got much better performance back. Never going back to drag/open pipes again unless its a engine built for that exhaust.
Also got back more mpg with the 2-1 exhaust.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:53 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by obidio
How do se's compare to Rush slipons?
Well, I stand corrected on the SE's according to this review. They didn't include Rush slip ons. But the SE were beaten out in performance by Bassani, VH, and others. They ran the tests on a dyno, so pretty conclusive.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1411/M...out-Video.aspx

Old 07-05-2013, 11:02 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

While we are on the subject, and the following is for EVO's, I'd like some opinions.

My understanding is that the stock pipes are reasonable for EVO's even those that are modded into the 90 H.P. range, slightly and carefully "opened" up pipes are a bit better (Not really sure what this means, I take it to mean don't go overboard.), and properly designed 2 into 1 pipes are best.

I have a bagger Stage 1, will most likely add an aftermarket cam, and have Port-flow headwork done, along with higher compression pistons, new rings, valves, gaskets, etc.

Only 64k on it, and it runs and starts well. but it smokes a bit, and both jugs have matching 125 PSI compression. I'm thinking that it might be a little tired. Winter work this year, or the next.

Last edited by RaSh; 07-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikek87
U must be talkin bout the shiet shoots
Every time I hear Vance & Hines **** Shots, I can't help but laugh. And I'm a VH owner!

Quick Reply: Aren't some pipes just loud with crappy performance?