General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on forward control mod.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013 | 03:41 PM
Rookster
|
3rd Gear
Default Info on forward control mod.

Thinking of doing a Forward Control upgrade on my 2012 Super Glide Custom. Looking at Kuryakyn, is that the most common Forward Control? Planning on installing myself if possible. Any input on how difficult or easy would be helpful..Also about how long should it take me to complete this upgrade...Thanks

Old 07-01-2013 | 04:30 PM
Aargow
Advanced

You might want to do a search in the Dyna or Do-it-yourself forums.

I did the forward controls on my '06 Dyna a few years ago using HD parts. I suspect the process is about the same regardless of who makes the controls.

Make sure you have a shop manual. If you do it by the book, you'll need to remove both outer and inner primary covers. That's a lot of gaskets. To remove the clutch, you need a tool that HD won't sell you (at least my dealer wouldn't). It's basically a wedge that holds the clutch in place while you remove the large bolt that holds it on. I cut a piece of hardwood and used it with success.

Some say that you can hack-saw the stock shifter shaft and avoid removing the clutch and inner primary...I didn't try that.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2013 | 08:26 PM
haroldr
Novice

I just installed a floorboard kit on my 2011 Super Glide Custom (its all the parts for the Switchback). I installed the kit from Harley http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-footboard-kit . Usually if you stick with Harley products the fit is perfect... if all you stuff is original equipment. I had to remove my Thunderheader to get them to fit. They look and work great. Always make sure that anything you add is going to work with anything else that has been modified. I haven't looked at the forward controls kit, but if its anything like the floorboard kit it comes with all gaskets need for the install.

The kit requires you to remove the inner and outer primary covers and the primary drive. The kit does come with all the gaskets to put it all back together. I didn't have the primary locking tool either so I put the bike in 6th gear, sat on the bike with my right foot on the rear brake and leaned over using the torque wrench with my hands.

I have heard of people leaving the shifter rod in place and using something to anchor it so it doesn't flop around. Thats how the older forward control kit was like the one on my 1998 FXD.

Here are some pictures of my 2011:
This one was what it took to put the left floorboard on per the instructions using all the parts from the kit.

These are the bike done with the new exhaust.

I also recommend getting a service manual. I got one from http://www.servicemanualvault.com It was only $9.95 and is a fully searchable pdf document. I like it a lot more then my paper manuals for my other bikes because when it references a section you can click the reference and it takes you there.

Old 07-01-2013 | 08:29 PM
haroldr
Novice

I also forgot to mention that one of the reasons you're supposed to take the primary off is because the lever on the transmission gets replaced with a longer one from the kit. The lever can't be removed from the transmission with the primary in place.