General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars with many wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013 | 10:01 AM
jjm64123
|
Stage III
Default Handlebars with many wires

Hey all, as you can see I am new here and new to the Harley world. As I am getting used to the ride I am not getting used to all the wires and cables on the handlebars. I have read a bunch of threads and watched a video o putting the wires into the bars which is pretty simple, but what about the brake and clutch lines? Tha is all for the input, and sorry if this is a common topic. Still new to forums.

Old 07-01-2013 | 10:11 AM
Tapman
Stage IV

I am also new to this whole lifestyle, but I had to change my bars on my train. The bars I had were able to conceal the wiring, but my throttle clutch and brake were all exposed. All I found for an answer was a hidden throttle cable. It looked kinda cool but I wasn't impressed with the way it was designed so I choose not to switch.
I hope you have better luck!!!

Old 07-01-2013 | 10:21 AM
Trak350
Tourer

If your handlebars are made for internal wiring then the wires can be threaded through the handlebars. As far as the clutch, brake lines, and throttle cables, I doubt you could find bars thick enough to get those cables through the bars. Just take some zip ties and secure them a bit. Just be sure to leave some slack for steering.

Old 07-01-2013 | 10:28 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

What's wrong with them showing, unless you're building a show bike? I know it looks cleaner but I just don't see the point.

Old 07-02-2013 | 09:51 AM
jjm64123
|
Stage III

Yea it's def not a show bike. The guy I bought it from left it outside for years so I fighting a battle with rust and oxidation. I have seen some really nice bikes with little to nothing on the bars and it just looks really neat. I was just seeing options that are out there. One thing I love about harleys is that no 2 bikes could look alike. Thanks for the help all.

Old 07-02-2013 | 10:24 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

People spend so much money on add ons and accessories to make their bike look better, they often overlook the simple thing like running their wires internal to really clean up the handle bars. It's simple and costs you nothing. If your bars aren't drilled for internal wiring, drill them out at each dimple and make a slot on the underside between the risers. Use a dremel tool to really clean up any burrs.

Old 07-02-2013 | 10:42 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 07-02-2013 | 09:26 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Trak350
If your handlebars are made for internal wiring then the wires can be threaded through the handlebars. As far as the clutch, brake lines, and throttle cables, I doubt you could find bars thick enough to get those cables through the bars. Just take some zip ties and secure them a bit. Just be sure to leave some slack for steering.

My brake line is through my bars (not easy lol) You can actualy get a thinner line but we made do with what we had.

Old 07-02-2013 | 10:29 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
What's wrong with them showing, unless you're building a show bike? I know it looks cleaner but I just don't see the point.

Why the "showy" pipes on your bike? I just don't see the point.

Why not just get a performance enhancing 2 into 1?

see where I am going with this ~ (ps; not trying to be a dick)

Old 07-03-2013 | 12:09 AM
Mittens01
Cruiser

Internal wiring is pretty easy, just take your time and make sure to solder the splices and insulate with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. As far as the clutch, throttle and brake lines, you're looking at pretty big $$$ to make them go away.

This is on my Kawi, but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Handlebars with many wires