Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back under the knife

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back under the knife

Well, it's definitive. Within the next 60 days, I will be undergoing surgery to replace the broken screw in my pelvis.

The surgeon has advised that the broken screw will be removed and replaced and he will possibly R&R the intact screw as well as there has been an inordinate amount of strain placed upon it.

He is also going to do a bone graft in the sacrum to try and repair a section which did not heal properly the first time around. Donor bone will be taken from the both femurs though the use of a hollow core bit. The surgeons going to drill full length on both sides to get the donor material. A plate will be added as well from left hip right across the pelvis to the right hip to provide additional support.

All this means that I will require external fixators in my pelvis again. I'm looking at 10 -12 weeks stuck in the Royal Alex hospital again followed by another 5 - 6 weeks in the Glenrose rehab hospital. .

We are attempting to fast track the rectal colon surgeon into hooking up my plumbing prior to this surgery. If we are not successful in doing so, I will be looking both at an additional 8 - 10 weeks for recovery for that procedure as well as significant delays in my post operative physiotherapy. This will be due to my inability to enter a pool for hydrotherapy activities designed to relieve pressure on my spine and pelvis by achieving neutral buoyancy.

I think I pissed off the gods somewhere along the line. However, wouldn't the sacrifice of my scoot be sufficient tribute?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 PM
BareBones
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope everything goes smooth and you have the quickest possible recovery. Best of luck to ya. I doubt you pissed off any gods. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. You're still alive and I know you're thankful for that. Keep on keepin on my friend.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Subduedracer
Advanced

You are one tough SOB. Hope you recover quick brother.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I got a new hip about 19 months ago. That seems like a walk in the park compared to your situation.

Prayers sent man, and a speedy recovery.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

damn dude, and I thought I was in tough shape.
Hope all goes as well as possible for you, you have a tough road ahead,
but from the sounds of it, you have already been through hell and back.
Good luck man!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
HD BUD
Cruiser

hope all goes well for ya prayers are with ya I had a pancreaus/kidney transplant 2 1/2 yrs ago, hope you get Purdy nurses to take care of ya.luck bud and a fast recovery

Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM
bebowebb
Road Master

Best of luck for as quick and trouble free of a recovery as possible!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Getting ready mentally for a hip implant this fall as soon as the scooter is in the barn for the winter months. Not looking forward to it at all but this daily pain has got to go! Good luck to ya!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I wish the best for you and will say a prayer for you tonight. I try to not complain much about my few problems because mine are absolutly nothing compared to yours. I truly hope it is all successfull and as painless as possible. good luck to you fellow rider. may you ride again.
kroozeabout.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM
obidio
Road Captain

give 'em hell at the hospital and rehab-make them earn their pay! Good luck, best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Quick Reply: Back under the knife