General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transition lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 PM
kingultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transition lenses?

I am looking for a good pair that are clear to dark (no mid) with a good quaility lense. Maybe even glare proof. (for riding ofcoarse) any Ideas?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transition lenses?

I don't think you can get a clear to dark in a trasition lens. Only clear to gray. The reason for this, as explained to me from the folks at HD is the lens has to become clear at night, so you can't get a total dark lens to change back to clear. I just bought the transition lenses for my profile goggles and they work very well. Not as dark as the dark smoke lens, but dark enough. They only change with the presence of UV light. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:13 AM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser

HD Spring catalogon Page 7 has the description of the "spartan googles"with transition lenses.The picture onthe coverand on page 6, the lenses appear to bedark.

97247-07V for $80.00

Don't own a pair or haveeverlooked at them.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

I wear Panoptx day/night and they seem to get a bit darker than the HD glasses. They don't get super dark but they are fine for me, I have no issues with them.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 AM
PlanoRider
Advanced

I have had the transitions lenses for over a year now in my prescription glasses. They get pretty dark but not as dark as real sunglasses. But they do get totally clear inside which is really good. I like them a lot. They are so automatic that you forget them until you walk indoors and notice that it seems really dark for a few minutes until they adjust. I have really been amazed at how fast they adjust......

Old 02-27-2007, 01:55 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer

Hubby has a pair of Harley day/night glasses, go clear to very dark, so dark you can't see his eyes at all dark, just like sunglasses. I used to have a pair also, and they are pretty comparable to proper sunglasses, it kind of depends what kind you are used to wearing, because there are varying tints in sunglasses. Its not the darkest kind of tint, but you won't be squinting in them by any means.

I have a pair of WileyX now, I love them, I had really bad experiences with my Harley glasses, with quality issues and after replacing them 3 times, I finally got my money back, after they broke again, and I brought the WileyX instead.
They go very dark also, but they don't go clear, they have a slight yellow tint to them when there is no sun, and its awesome at night, way better than my Harley glasses.

There is one caveat though, if you have a large visor on your helmet and it shades your glasses they won't go as dark as they can in the sun. I changed helmets and thought my glasses had stopped working, but it was my large tinted visor blocking the sun.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

None of the clear transition lenses become dark enough in my opinion. I keep a set of darks and a set of clears.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I laughed when I saw that Transitions commercial on TV. You know the one where all the people are wearing them and its the future. and its all like the "future is here'!! I had the same lenses in High School over 30 years ago!!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Sinkinfast
Tourer

I just took a new pair of Wileys to my optometrist, and they put prescription day/nights in them. Like others say, they don't get as dark as real sunglasses, but they work well for everything but tunnels since they take a few minutes to get lighter.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wear the Panoptix day/night glasses and they work great. They couldget a little darker if you're riding right into the midday sun, but overall I really like them. They do a nicejob of transitioning to dusk/nightimewith no visibility problems.

Quick Reply: transition lenses?