General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Caught In The Rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riding in the rain is one of those aspects of motorcycling that is a two edged sword capable of cutting to the bone in any direction. On the one hand the adventure and challenge is exhilarating and life affirming, like exiting a curve at twice the recommended speed knowing you NAILED IT, but on the other hand it can be a sobering experience that will make you reconsider flippantly missing church next Sunday. One afternoon I set out to make the fifteen mile journey to town when four miles into the trip I was met with a horrendous downpour so intense that cars in both directions were pulling over and waiting it out on the shoulder. Dutifully I too pulled over and after a few seconds the thought occurred to me that everyone else stopped was sitting in a dry air conditioned environment listening to the stereo while I was getting DRENCHED! Not good. With that thought in mind I put the Yellow Steed into gear and revved the engine as I pulled back onto the highway and began to pick up speed. At 70mph the voices in my head began to work on my subconscious mind... "Bet those cagers think I'm NUTZ!" "Look at em, just sitting there while I'm at least making tracks!" "Will a motorcycle hydroplane?" I glanced down to see the needle indicate 75mph. "Screw those cagers, I'm LIVIN' the LIFE!" "I bet a motorcycle WILL hydroplane..." A second glance noted the needle showing 80mph and my mind sent my body into overdrive… "Hydroplane? HYDROPLANE??? SLOW DOWN YOU IDIOT! What the HELL are you THINKING?!" I quickly countercranked the throttle and began to pray my fears didn't come to fruition. I realized that I had slowed enough to prevent any threats to my vertical forward motorvation at about the same time I saw my turn off approaching. An oncoming pickup was perhaps a quarter mile away so without hesitation I made the left turn and headed towards the city limits. The rain began to lighten up and had stopped completely by the time I stopped at the intersection some three miles from the highway. I put my left turn signal on and waited for the light to change. As I sat soaking wet thinking about what had just transpired a pickup pulled along side to my right. I raised my visor in time to hear the driver say “Nice day for a ride, aint it?” “Yeah, lets you know you’re ALIVE” I replied. “Gotta love it!” “I’ll say” he said “You’re pretty lucky. When you turned off the highway back there that truck hydroplaned and over corrected. Spun out. If you’d waited he would have taken you out for sure!”

Old 07-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,974 Likes on 19,388 Posts

I've been in 46 of the 50 states and I think I've got wet in every one of them!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:57 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"what would I have done getting caught out in the rain with no rain gear?"
I would have gotten wet of course... again!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Mink oil a few times a year on the Vanson's keeps it good for dealin with the rain, same for the boots and gloves. Keep a snap on visor in a saddlebag if running a half helmet, If it's a planned ride and rain is just part of the ride, then run the full face and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Its monsoon season here so will always have rain. Its so hot, wearing rain gear just makes you sweat. ++1 on staying on the interstates, less flooding and if it gets too bad, may have an overpass to hang out under.