General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California bike rentals

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 PM
FBoy06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default California bike rentals

I'm taking a trip out to Vegas at the end of March. I'm goingto rent a car and drive to California where I would like to rent a Harley and ride up the coastal highway. Any sugestions as to where to rent a bike north of LA?

Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: California bike rentals

I would do a seach for dealers on the HD site, then pick one in the area you are going to be in, then call them. That's what I'd do..
[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=confused06.gif][sm=goodidea.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 PM
madmech
Cruiser

Gary Bang H-D in Atascadero.Kinda the gateway to the Big Sur section of Hwy 1...Russ

Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
FBoy06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

madmech-Is that a good section of highway to start at? I was looking at Gary Bank, but there are so many dealers to choose from, it was getting confusing.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

I would recomend to rent the bike in Vegas and ride to the grand canyon and related areas instead. Cali Highways are the Sh**s! I hate to ride on them! thats why I have so few miles on my bike, It is very scary!! Lots of Bansai drivers!. the Beach comunities are cool but very crowed on weekends!

And the man loves to pull the loud scooters over for noise infractions.

I will probably have to move back to my native Utah to truly enjoy my bike!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Ventura HD rents I think. That would be the lowest point on the drive north that is outside the LA morass. Or Santa Barbara HD in Carpinteria. Not sure if they rent though.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:40 AM
madmech
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FBoy06

madmech-Is that a good section of highway to start at? I was looking at Gary Bank, but there are so many dealers to choose from, it was getting confusing.
That is the section that most people are thinking of when they talk about the coast hwy.From about Morro Bay to Monterey through the Big Sur area. My avatar pic was taken on that stretch.Also the section from north of Santa Barbara to Pismo Beach is nice but not as.North of the gay area through northern Ca. is great also.Plus the area from here to Monterey is quite rural.Most of the coast is open country.When you go,fill the tank in Cayucos or Cambria.Not much gas north of there and steep.This pic was taken somewhere along the middle...Russ

[IMG]local://upfiles/2743/D2F25A5AA920436DA5682BB601419127.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not sure if I'd waste my time riding in SoCal. The Interstates seem to attrack everyone who shouldn't be on the Hiways. There are tons of great drivers and tons of pis poor drivers. That's the problem....just too many tons of drivers! And just 'cause you're in the carpool lane doesn't mean you won't be somebody's new trunk ornament. I like what mentor70 sez.

Unless ya get out of the cities...............

Respect to all....

Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 806 Posts

I've rented from Eagle Rider in L.A. (on La Cienega) the last 2 years I've been there, and it's always been a great experience.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: goodbirds

Ventura HD rents I think. That would be the lowest point on the drive north that is outside the LA morass. Or Santa Barbara HD in Carpinteria. Not sure if they rent though.
Santa Barbara rents out of thier downtown Santa Barbara Store (they have one in Carpinteria too but the rentals are downtown)....Ventura HD doesn't rent.

Quick Reply: California bike rentals