General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ping? dyno or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ping? dyno or not??

so my bike is starting to ping a little. but only if i lug it. i don't lug it a lot but you know sometimes you hit the wrong gear or something. so should i get it dynod or just try to never lug it? i think its only happening now because its really hot summer this year. i always use premium gas. im just worried its ping more than i know. because its hard to hear over my exhaust. thanks.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Learn to ride correctly...

It's much cheaper, before AND after the dyno!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't lug it. Mine was pinging when hot at 3k RPM. After my dyno, no more pinging and i gained 8% hp and torque. No regrets. Make all the changes before paying for a dyno!!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I dont lug it on purpuse. I realy try not to. Its 115f in las vegas. I was thinking maby i got some bad fuel.?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lugging the motor will cause pinging reason: when lugging - the oil pressure is at its lowest and the disbursement is not adequate for the motor. It really has nothing to do with tuning but it is bad for the motor due to oil distribution.

If the other guy had pinging and a dyno solved the problem then it wasn't related to Lugging.

Last edited by ib5150; 06-28-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: other guy
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Dyno testing is used to check or increase performance, it can be bad for your engine, I have seen several engines come apart during the process, usually caused a by some weak point in the engine but none the less, it's not the way I want to find weak point in my bike.

If your riding a heavy street bike and not acting the fool on the street, the only other reason to consider a dyno is fuel mileage.

Lugging and pinging can be corrected without a dyno run.

You'll notice I did not tell you to have your bike dyno'd or not.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

efi + hot weather = best likelihood of pinging
solutions include best available fuel, enrich fuel mixture, supplemental engine cooling
dyne will correct the second item but is only one part of the solution
also, inherent design of v twin engine does not like lugging, not only oil pressure, think of the stresses put on internal moving parts, all solvable by increasing rpm range

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Dyno testing is used to check or increase performance, it can be bad for your engine, I have seen several engines come apart during the process, usually caused a by some weak point in the engine but none the less, it's not the way I want to find weak point in my bike.

If your riding a heavy street bike and not acting the fool on the street, the only other reason to consider a dyno is fuel mileage.

I read this post and just had to post my personal experience. A few years back I had a '03 Ultra classic. I ran ok, but seemed like a dog compared to my "93 Ultra. It was all stock so I wanted to add the usual air cleaner and pipe upgrade. I bought a power commander for it and figured I had it licked. Well after trying several canned maps. I felt it was all a waste of money. Not enough bang for the bucks I spent. So I went over to the local indy shop and talked to the dyno guy there. I explained my thoughts on the matter and he gave me his. So I agreed to go for the $250 for the dyno. What they did was ask me what I was looking for out of it. I said I never ride over 4k rpms for more then a quick shift, and I would like to get all the available power that was in there, up to 4k rpms. He said he'll set it up . When I picked it up the first thing I noticed from the butt dyno was, this thing moves effortlessly. In slow traffic situations it was noticeably cooler. It would only ping if I got it super hot, and then only on hard acceleration.My mileage was in the 40 mpg range on average. What I'm saying is the bike ran noticeably better with the dyno tune. Adjusting the fuel injection is something they can precisely do on the dyno, that you can't do without . It was worth every cent for the new bike I got afterwards. And as far as hurting the motor, If you say take it to the redline any relatively stock motor in good shape should be able to do that. If your motor needs a rebuild, a dyno would be a waste of money. It doesn't give you more power, just lets you use what your motor has in it.,,

Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO

I respectfully disagree. Dyno tuning is to correct an improper a/f ratio caused by installation of potential performance enhancing parts. In a stage 1 the air cleaner is no longer restricted and so the same for the exhaust. Dyno tuning will add fuel and modify timing requirements to return a correct a/f ratio now that restrictions have been removed. Added performance is just a by product of a correctly tuned engine. More air in, more exhaust out, and a proper ratio of air fuel and timing make for a happy engine.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Please read the first 9 words in my post, once you have read them, please read the last sentence in my post.

Quick Reply: ping? dyno or not??