General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ping? dyno or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Dyno testing is used to check or increase performance, it can be bad for your engine,
Hu??? Something "HAD" to be wrong with those engines to start with.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by gi_king_ken
I dont lug it on purpuse. I realy try not to. Its 115f in las vegas. I was thinking maby i got some bad fuel.?
You might get better results with a different brand of gas, it's worth a try.
Even so, if the only time it pings is when you lug it, don't do that anymore. And if you get in the wrong gear by mistake it only takes a second to correct that and shouldn't harm the motor. You didn't say what rpm range you usually run in but if it's low enough that upshifting will make it ping you probably aren't even in the power band.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Now read the op's post, it's a little long but the jist is, his bike pings when he lugs it.

Here is where I'll give latitude, timing and fuel ratio can cause the detonation (ping).

I also stated, I am not telling anyone not to dyno THEIR own bike. If you take my feedback as just that, you still have the right to choose.

I admit, sometimes I may post without reading an entire post, I don't call people out (even in a polite way) without reading and trying to understand what is being said.

Any dyno guy will tell you there is risk. Not all dyno tuning results in catastrophic failure. A small percentage do.

Have a fantastic weekend, hope you get to ride, I will.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

efi and extreme heat are not friends...you get da ping. Try an oil cooler.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
Hu??? Something "HAD" to be wrong with those engines to start with.
And I said that!

Please read the post. In it's entirety.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Any dyno guy will tell you there is risk. Not all dyno tuning results in catastrophic failure. A small percentage do.

Have a fantastic weekend, hope you get to ride, I will.
Well not to stray to far from the subject ( but you brought it up ). A bike that's ben well serviced/taken care of. And handled properly on the dyno, the risk has got to be extreamly low. And if your engine does blow under acceptable opperating parameters, chances are it was something that needed attention anyway. On the other hand, a bike that has been thoroughly abused. Then abused again by an inexperienced dyno tec, chances are pretty good it's gonna blow.

OP - (/) Say "NO" to lugging.

Last edited by FXDWG12; 06-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master

And I said that!

Please read the post. In it's entirety.
Well not to stray to far from the subject ( but you brought it up ). A bike that's ben well serviced/taken care of. And handled properly on the dyno, the risk has got to be extreamly low. And if your engine does blow under acceptable opperating parameters, chances are it was something that needed atention anyway. On the other hand, a bike that has been thoroughly abused. Then abused again by an inexperienced dyno tec, chances are pretty good it's gonna blow.

My Bad.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Well not to stray to far from the subject ( but you brought it up ). A bike that's ben well serviced/taken care of. And handled properly on the dyno, the risk has got to be extreamly low. And if your engine does blow under acceptable opperating parameters, chances are it was something that needed attention anyway. On the other hand, a bike that has been thoroughly abused. Then abused again by an inexperienced dyno tec, chances are pretty good it's gonna blow.

OK, I give, it's all yours from here.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Let's ride! It's Friday.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an interesting topic and is why *some* people like auto tune modules. Pinging is a symptom of an imperfect tune AT a given point in time. A dyno tune is done in a shop on a warmed up engine by a guy looking at outputs from the ecm and sensors there, in his shop. On the road we have a completely separate set of parameters that have been unaccounted for, regardless of how good or thorough the dyno tune was done.
An efi supplemented by an auto tune is constantly receiving input from the tps, ignition and o2 sensors and tunes to the conditions AT those points in time.
A change in fuel, air temp, weight of bike (occupants and gear) all will change how the efi and ignition needs to adapt AT that time. How does it know, by real time signals between the sensors and the ecm.
Love them or hate them, auto-tune modules do work to remedy some symptoms, including pinging, back firing, overheating or low performance that a dyno tune will not address.
Keep in mind some at models (California) do not allow adjustments in the lower rpm range where pinging occurs.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just so you all know i got a carb not efi.

Quick Reply: ping? dyno or not??