General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time Sturgis attendee

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st time Sturgis attendee

I'm trying to plan my first trip to Sturgis and looking for some suggestions from your veterans.

Coming from NH it's a long *** haul (1900 miles) Going to be trailering with some friends and doing some riding while their driving and vice versa.

Looking at the Stugis site there are a million places to stay. Looks like the Buffalo Chip is the place to stay. I would be tenting it for the week and just looking for general advice. Where to stay, where not to stay, or maybe even a hotel that's a better alternative to tenting.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 1st time Sturgis attendee

I have been to Sturgis twice in the last three years. I would not stay at the Buffalo Chip for a couple of reasons, first being that about the only way to get there is to go through town and second, witht he name bands they have at night, the traffic backs up for miles, you can walk in faster. If you dont mind getting back to camp prior to dinner time and staying put well into the night,k then I gues if you want to tent, and not get any sleep, that is the place to stay. There are many outlying campgrounds that offer easier access, and are much quieter.

Personally, I dont really want to camp for a week or better and have to fight for the showers, john's etc, so a smaller campground would be more to my liking. I stayed in Spearfish, at the Fairfield Inn both times, but had to book the rooms a year in advance and pay in advance.

Each to their own but I think being your first year, you might be aggravated with the traffic and the dirt and noise getting into the Chip.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
propane_peddler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've stayed ay Eagles Landing, just outside of sturgis twice and enjoyed it both times. If you need a quiet place to stay on the way, I have a small town, 1 room (big room) overnight room that I rent out, it sleeps 6.It has central air and a nice bathroom with shower.Its 30 miles SE of Sioux Falls SD.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I have been to Sturgis several times. Glenco & the Buffalo Chip are party places. Good place to visit, but I won't stay at either one again. Traffic is terrible getting to and from both places. I camped at a campground just outside of town at a place called Rusn-No-More. Shady spots, Clean bathrooms(not outhouses like the other places) and good showers. I have also stayed at the Comfort Suites in Rapid City. It was pretty decent. If you want to go to over crowded showers, crap in outhouses,wait intraffic for hours then Glenco and The Buffalo Chip are the place to be. You can get a day pass to the CHip for the "experience".

Old 02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

I was just looking at Glencoe. A guy I know is going there and said it was great, clean etc... So many choices, just hate to make the wrong one and have a crappy week.

Wife may also come, though not looking too good at this point.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
jkmullen
Cruiser

Been the last three years. I agree with everybody about the chip / glenco side of town. Walked my ride for two hours twice, not fun. But some people dothose placesand never leave the whole time.
Last year camped at Tilford Gulch campground just off I 90 just before you get into Sturgis. Good price, excellent owners. Food good.Nice little bar.Showers Very clean, and some shade, best of all, easy in and easy out. This place I will go back to.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Whackone
Tourer

Look at Daltonhd's post. He hit it "Nuts On". For the last 5 years we have rented a house in Sturgis. They are fully furnished and cost about $500 a week per person if you are with a group. You can walk downtown in the evening and then return to a little bit of quiet, etc. We save a lot by bringing food and drink from outside Sturgis.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

I stayed at Elkview Camground last year. Exit 39 iirc. Decent size with some shade. Showers/bathrooms were good enough. Food was very reasonable I thought. I would stay there again.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I stayed at Glenco a couple of years ago. The showers were crowded, small and not very clean by mid week. They have permanent outhouses for restrooms. They are 4 holers, the can resembles a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat nailed across a 2 X 4.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Sounds like glencoe isn't all that I thought it was. Thanks for the info.

I'll keep searching and check out the places you all have mentioned. Something within a reasonable distance would be just fine.

I do like the idea of the concert and all at the chip and glencoe but at what price right...

Quick Reply: 1st time Sturgis attendee