General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time Sturgis attendee

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1st time Sturgis attendee

ORIGINAL: CroftonDamico

Go to the following URL and purchase "The Sturgis Rally Guide Book 2007 Edition" for $19.99, two months ago, I paid $29.99. They will email you a PDF file, the guide is 167 pages of very useful info. This year we will be tent campingat the "Lamphere Ranch Campground" which is a working ranch. They are surrounded by Glencoe Campground and walking distance to Rock'n the Rally concerts & Full Throttle Saloon. The have a bus that runs hourly to town and all the bars, great idea. get drunk & hop on the bus back to camp and prevent that DUI

http://www.sturgisrallysite.com/
I've seen many sites promoting this. Wasn't sure if it was worth it or some kind of snake oil with info you can find for free on the web and travel places.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

[quote]ORIGINAL: dawg

It's just me and the wife and a buddy and his wife. He's taking his motorhome and I'm towing my 5th wheel....he's pulling the bikes. We are going to take 3 days to get there and 3 days back and plan on leaving the 3rd and returning the 15th. When I head to Myrtle Beach for a few days this year I will be riding the bike to that one
[/quote

Sounds like fun, and a lotta money in gas If my buddies commit, the plans will be to drive it in 2 days swapping off between the 3 of us.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

I lived in Minot North Dakota for a few years. I went to STurgis as it is only 8 hours from Minot or so.

I would suggest looking about 40-50 miles OUTSIDE of Sturgis. Your there to ride your bike anyway, so 100 miles a day is a nice warm up. Go into town and enjoy yourself, sober up while you are getting a tattoo and ride back out to your case 50+ miles out.

Wash rinse repeat.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most of the camp grounds have web-sites. i would go to sturgis .com get the list then go from there . i have stayed at eagles landing four years in a row but that was a few years ago.it was great then . but there is a long list of them to choose from . and it really depends on what you are looking for . from quiet to all out party.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some pretty sage advice here so far. I have been to Sturgis almost every year since 1987. I have seen lots of changes. I usually stay at the Chip. The noise is bad at night but ear plugs work well. Showers are pretty nice but busy. Close outhouses are pretty bad by mid week. Bathrooms with showers are regualr flush types. Party at night is priceless. We always go to arrive the first Satruday and leave by Thursday the latest. The last weekend is gridlock traffic everywhere. Go for the rides. Nothing like it. Devils Tower, Naked Tuesday in Hulet, WY, Rushmore, Custer, Badlands and more.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
kgjl
Tourer

Bringmoney. Bring clothes for all weather. Bring more money. Don't act the fool. And bring money.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Money money money...that's pretty much what I was thinking!

I checked the AAA website for the hell of it and they had a place in Spearfish called Elkhorn Ridge. Looked very nice and not too far out. Any experience there?

http://www.elkhornridgervpark.com/

Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
dubblist
Tourer

Money money money, bring half the clothes , half the gear and triple the money. I'll second with above on the Chip. We stay there every year and love it. It's just what your in to honestly. If go with the intention of having peace and quite every night then the Chip isnt for you. Most of the folks that stay at these places go and stay there the whole week. We usually head out early for free pancakes and coffee about 6am, then head out on the road for our rides. Get back in the afternoon and relax and get our drink on. By then it's 100+ outside and anywhere you go you'll be pushing your bike...lol. Keep to the back roads around town/stay off the main streets. Glen and CHip you cna access from the back road from i90 (you don't have to ride down main street) it's gravel in parts but fun.

Showers at the Chip..theres nice ones that you pay for and free ones. Get there early and you won't have a problem. Flush toliets we're super nice last year and it's all I used. People complain about not sleeping but I slept just fine even with burn out bridge down the path from us.

I mean this is bike week people!!!! It's loud no matter where you stay

Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 PM
hartick
Tourer

been twice in 4 years. first one camped in somebodys back yard. $10 a night. cant beat the price. last year stayed at Shade Valley. brand new place with lots of space. you can use their tents too if you dont want to bring your own. we got a site with plug ins for recharging toy and listening to the radio. huge bathrooms with hot water up the wazoo. i showered every morning and never got cold. food and beer all day long (or water if you want). and 'Da Bus' for transportation to The Chip, Full Throttle and downtown if you want to enjoy the suds and not worry about your ride home. it is about 10-15 min from downtown and right on the hiway west. they have a website too off the sturgis homepage.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkmullen

Been the last three years. I agree with everybody about the chip / glenco side of town. Walked my ride for two hours twice, not fun. But some people dothose placesand never leave the whole time.
Last year camped at Tilford Gulch campground just off I 90 just before you get into Sturgis. Good price, excellent owners. Food good.Nice little bar.Showers Very clean, and some shade, best of all, easy in and easy out. This place I will go back to.
Good luck and have fun.
I can also vouch for Tilford Gulch. I've stayed there 3 times. (I've also been to the Chip and Glencoe and agree with the other comments about noise, lack of sanitation, etc...and I was there a few years ago when Glencoe flooded out.) TG is quiet if you don't count the traffic on the interstate (quiet hours from 11p-6a), clean and (unless they have changed it recently) you can pay by the day. On the downside, some of it is quite hilly.

As with all campgrounds, advance reservations/payment is the smart thing to do. Most places will be turning people away.

Quick Reply: 1st time Sturgis attendee