General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time Sturgis attendee

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts
Default RE: 1st time Sturgis attendee

Joe,

I'll be making my first trip from VT, we are trailering as well. We are staying at Hog Heaven...You can check out their website athttp://www.hogheaven-campground.com/

Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dawg

Joe,

I'll be making my first trip from VT, we are trailering as well. We are staying at Hog Heaven...You can check out their website athttp://www.hogheaven-campground.com/
Thanks for the info, I will check them out also. What are your plans, what dates and how many people you got going?

I'm just now making my plans and have 3 buddys who "all wanna go" You know how that goes though..I'm hoping they come thru and this works out OK

Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You can pull up all the info.,Sturgis and the Buffalo Chip have their own websites with prices..
Unless you pass out youwill not sleep in the Chip at night andthe Chip is the largest populationarea in S. Dakota during the Sturgis ralley time.The concerts are big name and good.

I would find a place outside of townto stay, then you can visit the madness but not be stuck in it. Theentire area, including the neighboring states,is loaded with Great riding.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 AM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the following URL and purchase "The Sturgis Rally Guide Book 2007 Edition" for $19.99, two months ago, I paid $29.99. They will email you a PDF file, the guide is 167 pages of very useful info. This year we will be tent campingat the "Lamphere Ranch Campground" which is a working ranch. They are surrounded by Glencoe Campground and walking distance to Rock'n the Rally concerts & Full Throttle Saloon. The have a bus that runs hourly to town and all the bars, great idea. get drunk & hop on the bus back to camp and prevent that DUI

http://www.sturgisrallysite.com/

Old 02-27-2007, 12:40 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo38sfi

ORIGINAL: dawg

Joe,

Thanks for the info, I will check them out also. What are your plans, what dates and how many people you got going?

I'm just now making my plans and have 3 buddys who "all wanna go" You know how that goes though..I'm hoping they come thru and this works out OK
It's just me and the wife and a buddy and his wife. He's taking his motorhome and I'm towing my 5th wheel....he's pulling the bikes. We are going to take 3 days to get there and 3 days back and plan on leaving the 3rd and returning the 15th. When I head to Myrtle Beach for a few days this year I will be riding the bike to that one

Old 02-27-2007, 01:20 AM
mrhappy999
Advanced

I spose it depends on what you want to spend. Been there ten years straight and I like to have quiet and air conditioning at night. Probably why we only spend a couple daysin Sturgis area nowand travel the other seven. There are alot of places out west to see(Glacier Natl, Grand Canyon, Canada). Hotels aren't cheap but Super 8 on LaCrosse in Rapid City is reasonable by bike week standards. Rented a house 4 years ago in Spearfish, be careful of roaches and live in house pets(a duck).

Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 AM
BuzzHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know of a good camp groundin Custer,SDhttp://www.mickelsontrailaffiliates....campground.htm

Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Onry1
Intermediate

Last year stayed at a smaller campground called "Hog Heaven". They have a website. Campground was great, quiet and 5 minutes from Main street. Entrance is by the motorcross track just off the highway. Cheap, clean showers and toilets (not outhouses).

Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 AM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

Hill City

Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

When I go, I stay at Custer State Park. It is a very nice campground with excellent facilities and is quiet. Needles highway runs right through the park and only a short trip to Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Sturgis, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave, Deadwood.... It's far enough from Sturgis that traffic isn't a problem, yet close enough to ride in for the day. The park has a fantastic Nature Loop you can ride on. In one two hour ride, I ran over one prairie Dog, one rattle snake, and was nearly run over by one buffallo. I plan on staying there again next time I go.

Quick Reply: 1st time Sturgis attendee