General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever jumpstarted a motorcycle from another...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 AM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ever jumpstarted a motorcycle from another...

You can't push start an injected bike if there's not enough energy in it to power the ECM and fuel pump.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:42 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you are not jumping from a Dodge Nitro, you should be fine...

Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: ride99fxd

You can't push start an injected bike if there's not enough energy in it to power the ECM and fuel pump.
You know I didn't think of that. My Yamaha 650 Battery died (thank god on a hill) and I just pop started it, but it as carborated.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into a problem with a non-Harley that died on me a few weeks back. My friend and I tried to get it started off his bike with some jumper cables he had, but couldn't quite get it to turn over. However, I'm not sure if we had the cable clipped on well to the positive post. Ultimately, though, I got a wrecker out that had a jump battery and that did the trick (though the damn battery on this motorcycle was under the gas tank, so I had to pull a screw out and lift that up to get the car sized clip in there). It sucked even more when I dropped the nut for the screw that holds on the gas tank into the engine block and it was pitch dark out, so I just had to give up on finding that. That whole incident really sucked and made me realize that the servo's on a BMW can really drain a battery if you don't have the engine running.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay, today is going all as planned. I jumped the sporty from the car. The battery post for the negative is under the seat which I didn't want to remove for special reasons, so I just grounded the negative to the swingarm, and it fired right up the first time. I had the engine running in the car as I was concerned about killing the car battery. Rode it around for a bit, came home and it startedright up. The real test will be when it is cold. But I think it will be fine. Just gotta teach her not to leave the key on for hours and hours...I guess repayment for me might be some stuff for MY bike...LOL.