General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike and retirement opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So seven years ago I was looking for a place to retire to. Coming from New Jersey I was looking to escape the obscene taxes. Delaware had terrific tax advantages. On our fifth trip down there house looking, my wife turns to me and asks, "are you going to become despondent because there no good places to ride?"

I even inquired on the ADV Rider forum about places to ride in Delaware. One guy told me about a run called nine corners. That's it, flat, straight with nine turns considered a hot road.

I moved to Virginia. From my front porch I can see the first peak on Skyline Drive. I am four and a half hours from the ocean, so I sold the Boston Whaler. Fishing is overrated anyway. I now have a tin boat for the lake but never use it because I'm always riding.

BTW I have toured all over Florida and no place there looks like Virginia. It's called elevation. You have none.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM
obidio
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

South Texas. Very low cost of living and no state income tax! Ride 364 days a year!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobg03

Our primary choice has up to now been somewhere in North Carolina on the east side of I-95.
You are welcome in NC, but don't try to make it in to the state you just left. We like it just like it is.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like OP is describing California.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick7938
You are welcome in NC, but don't try to make it in to the state you just left. We like it just like it is.
Gee, thx for the welcome...FYI if I liked where I was I'd stay. I don't even work in this f'n state or buy any gas here.

I have adult children who have been there for awhile and I am not a native northerner. I stayed here for a good job in the 80's that I have retired from, now I just need 7.5 more years for the next pension check. At that point Momma will have reached her full Teamster pension so we're good to leave.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep posting on what you decide to do. I too am looking at retiring in the next year or so. My wife says we can go anywhere so I guess we will be doing some travelling and then make a decision. Its going to be like getting a new bike. Ride it and then decide by the seat of your pants.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I live North of Tampa (out of the roughest traffic!!!) and in the most wonderous riding territory in the state on the nature coast (maybe bested by the Keys, but far less pricey). I sold my car and only have my motorcycles. I love it and ride nearly every day. There is 1 or 2 days a year I feel like I cannot ride (hurricane or when it rarely drops to -32). There is also a large biking community. That means lots of events, cagers are looking for motorcycles more often than not, and there are lots of great parts, bikes, and rides available.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a note on the obvious draw backs to living in Florida. If you are a baby Casey Anthony might kill you, if you are black then you might get shot in your neighborhood, if you like to vote then it might not get counted, but we got beaches and nice weather. Most of the time that outweighs the non-typical Florida downfalls.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Drat
Keep posting on what you decide to do. I too am looking at retiring in the next year or so. My wife says we can go anywhere so I guess we will be doing some travelling and then make a decision. Its going to be like getting a new bike. Ride it and then decide by the seat of your pants.
Retirement is 7.5 years for us..she is older and it will be her first, I'm working on pension number 2 and we wil go together.

The home purchase will come first she has quite a bit of vacation and as a railroader I can make a pretty creative schedule by taking different runs.

But as we look and learn we will share.

She has found many nice two bedroom single story ranches w/enough property to build a large 3 car detached garage w/a second story man-cave for less than 70K..in the Carolinas.

Of course this is contingent on the completion of the current contract on her house, she has it under a rent to purchase agreement.

Last edited by bobg03; 06-25-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 PM
omaho5
Road Master

My vote is for the Schoodic Peninsula on northern coast of Maine. Great riding from May till October, less the fog bound days.
Then you can bring your bride snowmobiling along the coast.

Quick Reply: Bike and retirement opinions..