General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet cameras

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default helmet cameras

i have been thinking about getting a helmet cam. and just wondering what everyone uses and what they think of them?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got Contour Roam as a Christmas gift and like it.I can't compare it to a GoPro because I don't have one,but the Contour is simple to use.Neither have a viewfinder so you have to download the video to a computer,but it's fairley simple to do.I mounted mine on the bike and don't use it on the helment,but it can be mounted most anywhere.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Been using helmet cams for a few years now. Sometime on the bike, sometimes while doing my other hobby, paintball. Been through a bunch of them. GoPro, Contour, VIO POV, and a few others I cannot remember. Of the bunch I have liked the Drift the best. I currently have 2 Drift HD720's, my wife has one, and there are 4 more on the paintball team. Drift has a newer model out with some great feature, but higher price. The Drift also comes with a view screen, wireless remote control, and easy to use.

Hope it helps

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Matous Leather
Banned
Default Go Pro

We use the GoPro - the picture is fantastic. I found that I like mounting directly to the bike, however, versus a camera on the helmet.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

GoPro, but I find that helmet mounting is tough to watch because of the constant back and forth movements of a persons head. Mine is mounted on the handlebars, with a power cord so I have no worry with battery life. I have no problem with vibration with it.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by Deucedog
GoPro, but I find that helmet mounting is tough to watch because of the constant back and forth movements of a persons head. Mine is mounted on the handlebars, with a power cord so I have no worry with battery life. I have no problem with vibration with it.
I thought the gopro went into charging mode when the power cord was hooked up. r u just using usb cigarette lighter plug. gonna have to try it. also what waterproof case r u using...did you modify it so u could plug in to usb cable. mine has no hole for the cable

Last edited by kpb46; 06-25-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kpb46
I thought the gopro went into charging mode when the power cord was hooked up. r u just using usb cigarette lighter plug. gonna have to try it. also what waterproof case r u using...did you modify it so u could plug in to usb cable. mine has no hole for the cable
I run mine all the time that way. Last year used for 8 days, 10 hours a day. I also use a 32 Gig/class 10 card and have never filled it up.

You have to buy the 'skeleton case'. It has an opening on the side of the case for the microphone and power cord.
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hd-skeleton-housing

I'm not lucky enough to have a built in cigarette lighter on my bike so I had to add the Power Port that you see in the picture. It comes with a dual USB adapter that you just replace the lighter with. Works like a champ.

You can also see that I added the LCD screen to the back of the camera so I can tell when it's on, what it's aimed at and all the setting screens without getting off the bike or taking the camera out of the case.
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/lcd-bacpac

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Jbizzle
Road Captain

I too use a gopro. I shot some video of us riding the twistys in North Georgia with it mounted on my engine guard. It was almost too much vibration to watch. The next day we were riding the Dragon and I decided to mount it on my helmet. Boy, am I glad I did. I got excellent video of the tail of the dragon and no vibration at all. I didn't find that I turned my head too much to affect the video. Of course there is minimal head turn because of the contour of the road and having to look where I was going.

I don't run mine all the time, but I did buy an extra battery so just in case I'm taping for a while and one battery goes down, I've always got a spare.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That bar mount looks pretty solid though I do get a lot of vibration off center on the handlebars when stopped and then there is the windshield to contend with. Thinking about the curved adhesive mount to the windshield or top of helmet. If anyone uses the adhesive mount do you also use a tether of some type?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Drift HD Stealth and love it. Use it helmet mounted as I find most vids taken on bike mounts DO have shake. Cant watch a vid with shake.

Quick Reply: helmet cameras