General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocking fob signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013 | 09:03 AM
GARY DYER
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default Blocking fob signals

I usually give a second set of keys to a riding buddy, but going solo to Canada and I want to put a second set of keys in my tourpac, but I want to keep the fob from broadcasting to the security module. I don't think aluminum foil will work. What can I wrap or put the keys in that will block the signals? A non aluminum metal container maybe?? :scratch:

How about taking the battery out? Will I have to have the fob reprogramed again when I put the battery back in? :idunno:

Old 06-24-2013 | 09:07 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

You should be able to put a small piece of electrical tape under one of the contacts inside the fob and disable it. I don't believe that you will need to reprogram it. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013 | 09:32 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Just throwing this out there - You presumably lock your tourpack. If the FOB is in the tourpack when your carry FOB goes missing, how will you get the spare? I would just choose a different pants pocket personally. And recall that you can start the bike with the blinker switches as well. No real need to carry the spare

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:10 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Can't just remove the battery from the second fob? Use your security override code and mate a second repowered fob to the bike if you lose the first one?

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:17 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Remove the battery. Simple to remove and replace it.

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:19 AM
michaelm
Tourer

Put the battery in upside down. There when you need it...

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:22 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member

You won't lose the code if you remove the battery, otherwise how would you be able to change the fob's batteries when the time comes? Can you imagine the outrage when Moco tells you ' Yeah, looks like the battery in your fob died, that'll be $100 for a new battery and reprogramming.' Just remove the battery if you want peace of mind.

Old 06-24-2013 | 08:38 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior

I have the bike key with fob in one pocket. I have a spare key on my house keys set in another pocket. I have the over-ride procedure and PIN code in my phone. No need for me to carry two FOBs

Old 06-24-2013 | 10:33 PM
banddirector
Road Master

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I have the bike key with fob in one pocket. I have a spare key on my house keys set in another pocket. I have the over-ride procedure and PIN code in my phone. No need for me to carry two FOBs
Get the "V-Twin Reference" app, if you have a smart phone. Among other things, it has a reminder of the procedure on how to start your bike if you lose your fob/fob failure. Or take the batt out of one of them ...

Old 06-25-2013 | 07:38 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by banddirector
... "V-Twin Reference" app ..
Searched for that app, nothng came up with "V-Twin"

As for the OP, as others have suggested, flip the battery over -- easy to flip it back if needed.

Quick Reply: Blocking fob signals