General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding this bike is kicking my ass, please help get this bike back on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013 | 08:44 AM
gb6049
Intermediate

Pump the lever, hold it closed and tie with a zip tie and leave that way over night. Air also sometimes get trapped at the banjo fitting, while under pressure, crack and retighten the banjo fitting.

Old 06-23-2013 | 08:45 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default My Thoughts

Originally Posted by Mardi Gras
Here's what I've done:
  • I've taken the MC apart to clean and inspect, seals are good and cylinder and piston are clean with no corrosion. Passages from the reservoir into the cylinder are not clogged.
  • Bench bled the MC, I'm able to get all the air out.
  • I can get a little fluid down into the caliper with a Mityvac but it draws a 20" vacuum and only very slowly pulls frothy fluid out of the caliper. Taped the threads to eliminate air leakage around the bleeder.
  • As per service manual, tried the "crack the bleeder-squeeze-tighten bleeder-release" method but no matter how slowly I release the brake handle or how many seconds/minutes I wait before I crack the bleeder again it always leaves the system under a vacuum and just draws air back into the caliper.
  • As per service manual I fashioned a back-bleeder to push the fluid up into the reservoir from the caliper and I'm not able to move ANY fluid into the system.
  • I am unable to gravity bleed the system because with the cap removed NO fluid will flow down into the hose from the MC.
Here's what I've observed:

• When bench bleeding the MC once I've short-stroked all the air out of the cylinder when I push the piston all the way in and put my finger over the fitting where the banjo bolt goes, when I release the piston it'll draw a strong vacuum on my finger that will not subside. It does not refill the cylinder from the reservoir.
I only have automotive experience but here are my thoughts. My first clue was that you took apart the master cylinder. Now, mind you I have never taken apart a motorcycle master, but, would it be possible that you re-installed / assembled the plunger assembly / cup backwards? This would account for the system having "backwards" vacuum drawing air back in when bleeding the master as opposed to drawing down the fluid into the bore. This would also account for your inability to vacuum bleed the system from the caliper. It almost sounds to simple but at the same time possible?

As an afterthought, you really shouldn't "tape" any threads in the brake system. It's a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-23-2013 | 08:50 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

didn't see if you tried this, but check the new line make sure it's not clogged or broken down inside....

Old 06-23-2013 | 10:20 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
... would it be possible that you re-installed / assembled the plunger assembly / cup backwards? This would account for the system having "backwards" vacuum drawing air back in when bleeding the master as opposed to drawing down the fluid into the bore. This would also account for your inability to vacuum bleed the system from the caliper. It almost sounds to simple but at the same time possible?

This would make sense. By your description (no fluid flowing and vacuum after actuating the lever), it sounds like something in the m/c is backwards.

Old 06-23-2013 | 10:53 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought one of these One Man Brake Bleeder from Harbor Freight for $6 to use in my part time ATV business. Saved me tons of time and aggravation.

Old 06-23-2013 | 11:10 AM
cyclhed
Novice

It sounds like the m/c is put together wrong or you have a blockage or a leak. Take it all apart and make sure the m/c is good. Blow through the lines to make sure they are clear. Make sure the pistons in the caliper are free by pushing them in and out. Hook it all back up. Open the bleeder. BTW: it is OK to put sealer tape on the bleeder threads. It is actually needed to keep air from leaking past the threads. With the bleeder open, fill the reservoir and slowly pump until you get fluid coming out the bleeder. Now close the bleeder and slowly pump the lever until no more air bubbles come out of the hole in the bottom of the reservoir. This is all that you usually need to do. The brake can be bled from the top. The next best way is to push the fluid up from the bleeder with a syringe full of fluid. If the first method doesn't work, you have a leak or the m/c is not working properly. Clean all of the fittings with brakleen and dry them then check for leaks with your finger under the fitting, if your finger gets wet, you got a leak!

Last edited by cyclhed; 06-23-2013 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Just52 (11-29-2020)
Old 06-23-2013 | 12:08 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by ZUTEDUFF
didn't see if you tried this, but check the new line make sure it's not clogged or broken down inside....
This sounds like the next step I'd take in trying to resolve your issue ... I too ( like you ) am a ASE Tech ( although a very old one .. It was NIASE first ) and this wouldn't be the first time I've seen problems with a "brand new hose" ... It only takes a few minutes to disconnect and check and even if it isn't the problem at least you've eliminated once possible part of the system.

Old 06-23-2013 | 12:44 PM
portlandron
Cruiser

I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Nothing worked. Got a Brake Bleeder from Harbor Freight for cheap and had them working in 5 minutes.

Old 06-23-2013 | 12:58 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by gb6049
Pump the lever, hold it closed and tie with a zip tie and leave that way over night. Air also sometimes get trapped at the banjo fitting, while under pressure, crack and retighten the banjo fitting.
+1! When all else fails this method has worked several times for me.

Old 06-23-2013 | 01:58 PM
Mardi Gras
|
Stage IV

Let me start by saying Thanks, I didn't expect 18 replies so quickly. I'm surprised by the eagerness of people to help. Makes me want to add a HD to the stable.

All the advice is solid, I selected the posts that hopefully would reply to everybody.

Originally Posted by kingomtn
frothy = leak in system
have you tried applying vacuum at the caliper bleeder while the cap is loose and slowly applying brake lever pressure?
From your description it sounds like the m/c is not allowing fluid to the lines.
The MC not letting fluid into the lines is exactly what's happening. With the system under Mityvacuum at the caliper if I slowly squeeze the brake lever it will more rapidly advance the froth into the line, and then when I release it will halt for a few seconds until the Mityvac overcomes the vacuum pulled by the MC.

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Loosen the banjo bolt on the MC, get a big syringe and a short peice of tight fitting clear hose, push the fluid into the bleeder 'till it comes out the banjo bolt, tighten the bolt and continue to push though the mc.

Of coarse close the bleeder and make sure you don't inject air if you have to refill the syringe.
Back bleed up to the MC. Good idea. Doing this for sure.

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I only have automotive experience but here are my thoughts. My first clue was that you took apart the master cylinder. Now, mind you I have never taken apart a motorcycle master, but, would it be possible that you re-installed / assembled the plunger assembly / cup backwards? This would account for the system having "backwards" vacuum drawing air back in when bleeding the master as opposed to drawing down the fluid into the bore. This would also account for your inability to vacuum bleed the system from the caliper. It almost sounds to simple but at the same time possible?

As an afterthought, you really shouldn't "tape" any threads in the brake system. It's a recipe for disaster.
The first disassembly was after I noticed the MC was pulling a vacuum on the brake system. Later in the evening I took it apart again to make sure I didn't miss something. It is physically impossible to assemble it incorrectly. The piston only goes in one way and I never actually removed the cup seal from the piston but that can only go on one way, too.
I've used a little thread tape on bleeder bolts many times before on ABS systems where the only correct way to bleed it is to pull a vacuum on the caliper. Never had any problems with that in the past as long as one is judicial in their application of the thread tape.

Originally Posted by ZUTEDUFF
Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
This sounds like the next step I'd take in trying to resolve your issue ... I too ( like you ) am a ASE Tech ( although a very old one .. It was NIASE first ) and this wouldn't be the first time I've seen problems with a "brand new hose" ... It only takes a few minutes to disconnect and check and even if it isn't the problem at least you've eliminated once possible part of the system.
This has occurred to me. It seems wild to me that a Magnum brake line made here in the USA would have a manufacturing flaw. I inspected the line to see if fluid had leaked in between the plastic sheath and the steel braid and found nothing.
When I back-bleed the system with the banjo bolt loose at the MC I will know if there is a blockage in the hose.

I did not take the caliper apart and clean the pistons. I did, however, remove the caliper and gently press the pistons back into the caliper before starting the bleeding process.

Last edited by Mardi Gras; 06-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Bleeding this bike is kicking my ass, please help get this bike back on the road!