General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle noise enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013 | 05:52 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firewoman
Great question!

Same answer from me too. Touch my bike and you'll draw back a nub.
The one time I was checked, the baconator let me do the throttle twisting. 119 db on a fat cat with the standard baffle. He let me go because I wasn't sounding off when I went by him. He didn't realize that I wasn't until he heard how much bark that fat cat actually had.

Old 06-21-2013 | 06:15 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gliden
Every things about the dollar. No one gives a crap about the noise from a mc it's about towns trying to find ways to keep the cash rolling in.

Red light cameras the latest example of pure bull crap to syphon money out of your wallet for going right on red or proceeding through under the yellow.

I don't think there are enough motorcycles in the average town to equip police cars with noise measuring devices. None the less, red light cameras were the start of a revenue stream towns can't resist. Like a dog tasting blood for the first time.

Noise meters??? Nothing would surprise me if it can substantiate itself by bringing in a dollar.
Noise does bug some non riders. You know how noise travels out in the country in the early, early a.m.? I've lived here ( way out in the country,) 4 years now and still run into people who live on the route I take to the busier state route at the local grocery store. Many have pointed out the fact that they hear me every day going past their homes. Some are smiling, some aren't.

I run a Patriot Pipe with an adjustable baffle. In the morning it's closed until I get to Rt 96 then 3/4 open the rest of the way (which is where it's tuned to run.) So I do what I can to be a good neighbor. And to those who don't like it? Well they'll have to deal with it however they want I guess. I know they'd be the ones to enforce the 83 db limit if they could though.

I'm certain that the tougher enforcement is coming down the road to differing degrees ( depending on where you live.)

Last edited by Stiggy; 06-21-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2013 | 07:25 PM
Jake911
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DNC
Really, do we need LE and gov't in general making every aspect of life safe for us?
It is really about time that all persons who works for the government quit their jobs or call in sick and no one apply for government employment. As long as people are taking jobs and enforcing these idiotic laws those people are just as much of the problem as those idiots who make the laws. Boycotts work and it is time to boycott the govt.

This noise law makes as much sense as issuing someone a ticket for exceeding the speed limit simply because their vehicle will actually exceed the speed limit.

Old 06-21-2013 | 07:59 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
The same logic that drives someone to purchase an item which is clearly labeled as not being for on-road use, then complaining when they're fined.

Like it or not, it is a violation of federal law to change out your mufflers to something without an EPA stamp, and it's damn sure illegal to remove a catalytic converter.
I'm betting that you won't even remove the tag off a mattress.

Old 06-21-2013 | 08:41 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Normando
Where is the logic of buying legally a product, paying taxes to government and then declare that it is illegal and fine you !

The cup are planning to do road block just like for alcohol and collect $$$ That all they want !
Read the instructions that came with your after market exhaust, just about all I have ever seen, have a clause "for off road use only". The items are not legal for use on public roads.

Old 06-21-2013 | 08:42 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
The city of Gatineau in Quebec has distributed sound testing equipment to their officers and given them training in sound testing. The police there are now enforcing the 100 dB noise limit - measured at exhaust output under full throttle. From the news reports a lot of other major cities are studying Gatineau processes and are in the process of formulating their own plans for noise enforcement. It will be interested to see how this plays out.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/7129...n-noisy-bikes/
Having solved all other problems in Quebec...

Old 06-22-2013 | 05:11 AM
passae
Tourer

What a waste of tax payer money. Big government....high taxes and absurd regulations which the tax payer doesn't want or need. I guess we deserve it..... we ask for it each first Tuesday of November and then we act like we didn't know what was coming.
I am glad we won't ever do what Canada does, we are the US......oops I forgot, they have government run health care .....oh well!!

Coming to a city near you!!!

Old 06-22-2013 | 05:24 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Where is Thomas Paine when you need him?
"If we look back to the riots and tumults which at various times have happened in England, we shall find, that they did not proceed from the want of a government, but that government was itself the generating cause; instead of consolidating society, it divided it; it deprived it of its natural cohesion, and engendered discontents and disorders, which otherwise would not have existed."
Common Sense 1776