General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourer vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 PM
PlanoRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tourer vs Softail

Let me start by admitting that I am very new to motorcycles and therefore have not ridden any HD motorcycles. But once I get comfortable with my skills, I plan to rent several different models to see what I like. But my ultimate goal is to own an HD. I am currently learning on a Honda Rebel 250. End disclaimer....

Since I have not ridden either of these motorcycles I wanted to ask those that might know a question. I find the HD Fatboy and the Road King the most appealing. But I do see them as somewhat similar in appearance. They are both "bulky" looking bikes which I like.

So given the similarities and the fact that I would want both saddle bags and a windshield, on what basis would one choose the Fatboy over the Road King??? Does the softail handle better? I would think the more comfortable touring suspension would be just as good for any purpose that the Fatboy would be. But with the Fatboy you would have to buy the saddle bags, windshield, and engine guards as extras...... I like the softail look but I see nothing wrong with the Road King look either.

So these are apparently very different bikes so I was wondering if someone could tell me how they differ? I would primarily be doing short rides not much long highway trips.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:39 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tourer vs Softail

It sounds like you answered your own question. If you like the looks of both, but will add the extras to the fat boy anyway. I have always had softails in the past. Loved em, but, the suspention on my new bagger is awesome.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

get a 'Glide

Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,319 Likes on 6,129 Posts

If your only going to ride short trips, I would go for whichever bike I could get a better deal on price wise. If you plan on doing any long riding in the future definatley go with the King. Its a more comfortable bike.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Get a Fatboy with saddle bags and windshield, it's called a Heritage Softail Classic FLSTCI. You can strip the saddle bags and shield from the bike in a matter of minutes and have that "Fatboy" look for cruising. With the bags and shield installed, you have a tourer as capable as the Road King. Add the softail tourpak and you have a tourer as capable as a Glide. Granted, the softail suspension is not as compliant or easly adjusted as the RK or Glides, but I like to feel the road. When I was shopping for a luxury sedan I test drove Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, and BMW. The BMW won hands down for the same reason I ride a Softail, the feel of the road is not diminished by the suspension.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Rambler
Tourer

I've had both a 99 and 03 Road King. Got an 07 Heritage classic a few months ago. They both have subtle differences, but I personally prefer the heritage softail overall.

Find out for yourself which you are more comfortable with. Rent one of each for a day or two and then you'll know what is right for you.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM
PlanoRider
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

Get a Fatboy with saddle bags and windshield, it's called a Heritage Softail Classic FLSTCI. You can strip the saddle bags and shield from the bike in a matter of minutes and have that "Fatboy" look for cruising. With the bags and shield installed, you have a tourer as capable as the Road King. Add the softail tourpak and you have a tourer as capable as a Glide. Granted, the softail suspension is not as compliant or easly adjusted as the RK or Glides, but I like to feel the road. When I was shopping for a luxury sedan I test drove Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, and BMW. The BMW won hands down for the same reason I ride a Softail, the feel of the road is not diminished by the suspension.
Sounds like this is the answer to my question. If the Road King has a superior suspension then why would you want a softail??? The answer: to feel the road. Like the difference between a sports car and a cadilac....... I mean I have seen saddle bag mounts for the Road King that at least claim to make it look good with the bags off. The windsheild is easy to take off and then you have a very impressive looking crusier..... So it is road feel vs Cadiliac ride???? But what about handling?? Are there significant differences??

Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I prefer the FatBoy to the RoadKing that I had for a while..

To me the RoadKing just felt too big and bulky, and for some reason I just didn't enjoy riding it.

My FatBoy has the HD 'detachable' windshield, saddle bags, and sissy bar/luggage rack, so it can go from a stripped down cruiser to 'full tour mode' in just a couple of minutes.

The best of all worlds...

Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want a softail with bags I would consider the Heritage Classic. The Fat Boy is probably the one Harley that is least compatable with saddle bags. The shotgun pipes dictates the bags are very small on a Fat Boy compared to other comparable models and to me they just look "funny".

Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My reason for tourer over SoftTail is people complaining about bottoming out easier with SoftTail,and just feel more comfortable with FLT or FLH model suspension.They both look great to me.

Quick Reply: Tourer vs Softail