General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourer vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts
Default RE: Tourer vs Softail

A word about the Heritage bags. Supposedly the tops have been reinforced on the new models. If not, there are several outfits that offer bag stiffener kits. I went with Bossbags because they install a lock and hasp system. I like having locking bags.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Hopefully one last question on this subject. Looking at the base price for a Softail Deluxe and a Softail Heritage Classic, there is only around a $500 difference. The Heritage seems like a pretty good bang for the buck given the addition of the saddle bags, windshield, and sissy bar and I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something as far as any features it is missing that the Deluxe has, other than chrome spokes, whitewalls and luggage rack. I guess that it seems like, if you price things out of the Harley catalog, the Heritage is a pretty good bang for the buck given the stock accessories that it comes with. The main downside would just be the fact that you're sorta stuck with the style of accessory they've chosen to put on the bike.

I know I must have missed something, though, since I can't imagine Harley "discounting" anything.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen a Street Glide yet?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

If your a big guy and are planning on riding 2-up you better go for the Road King.You may be bottoming out on a soft tail when you hit bumps.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Bluerose

When I went to buy a bike everyone told me to buy a touring bike. The problem was I fell for the Softail Deluxe. I rode everything and found myself between theRoad Glide and the Deluxe. The Deluxe just had the look and feel I wanted in my Harley.

As you can see in my sig I tour on mine with no problems. Personally I wouldn't mind having a Road Glide in the stable along side the Deluxe

Buy the one you like...you'll regret it if you don't.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Drtbag
Tourer

Arnold chose the fat boy. Hmmmmm. Fatboy for me. LOL
All kidding aside, there are alot of good responses here. the easier turning at slower speeds? It would be tough to feel the dif between the two.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:04 AM
purple haze
Road Master

I can not belive I'm saying this, but with the little riding skill's you have I would not want you on harley at this point, look at B.M.W.'s, they are light and some have all the touring stuff on them, I looked at some one time and they have some really light bike's, and some come loaded or get smaller one, even jap or British, I would tell you to buy Fat Boy , because I'm not crossing country, but if I wanted to it would do it back and forth, I have owned many bike's and brand's but last 5 where harley's, the first 1974 superglide 74C.I a.m.f. , allway's leaked oil but loved it, the last 4 have been Fat Boy's, just love to ride them, and sorry to some of you, but do not like all the bag's, or fairing's ,radio's , man I just want to ride!! But would hate to see you get hurt on 700lb or 800lb bike, start smaller, street's are very hard, that's why I walk with slight limp now, but you will buy what you want, but please do not hurt your self with little riding you have done. my 9 cent's. GOOD LUCK PURPLE HAZE.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/F969E1A043034B88939C63CAE3DBA3ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: purple haze

I can not belive I'm saying this, but with the little riding skill's you have I would not want you on harley at this point, look at B.M.W.'s, they are light and some have all the touring stuff on them, I looked at some one time and they have some really light bike's, and some come loaded or get smaller one
I'm not the voice of long term experience, but the one thing I will say as a new rider that picked up a Sportster last year is that weight alone is not the sole consideration one should make. I got the Sportster because I figured that something a little lighter, a little smaller, and a little less expensive would be better to "learn" on. For the most part that is correct, but the trick to the Sportster is that it's rather top heavy compared to the Softail or Touring line. That's not to say that's a problem and makes the ride any less enjoyable, but it is something that I didn't think about when the thought of "lighter is better" was running through my mind last year.

Since then I also got a used BMW and loaded it up for a camping trip. At an intersection along the way I did drop it, and fully loaded that thing was pretty top heavy, and just heavy in general. I didn't hurt myself, but it was a bear to get it upright again.

However, I'm starting to digress here. It seems to me that the way bags are mounted higher on BMW frames, versus the low slung bags of a cruiser would make the BMW a little more challenging if one plans to load it up for a road trip.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:46 AM
purple haze
Road Master

I'm sorry did not know you have been riding a sporty for over year, I thought you had just started to ride, so sorry for running my mouth!!! So now try that FAT BOY out you might just like it, I sure like mine. GOOD LUCK.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/DC291319A2D04B6E8E05CF10E1ECE852.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the bottoming out issue..... How often are you planning on riding two-up? How big are you and how big is your passenger?

Two years ago, I had a big ride planned with my lady for our anniversary. Three days before we were supposed to roll, my old Shovel blew a seal and needed a complete rebuild. Not to be deterred, I rented a Haritage and off we went.

We were not really loaded down with luggage, but with the two of us we bottomed out several times. We are not small people. Both in excess of 200 lbs. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Tourer vs Softail