General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourer vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tourer vs Softail

As you become more proficient with your skill you will want to go further. I would look very hard aat the FLHT standard. About the same money but a true touring bike with lots of goodies as standard equipment. Long rides will call for cruise control and tunes for the alone rides. After all my little group often does 450-500 mile rides for a lunch. As you get better so will you. So why not get the very most confort for thr buck?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Tinkermc

As you become more proficient with your skill you will want to go further. I would look very hard aat the FLHT standard. About the same money but a true touring bike with lots of goodies as standard equipment. Long rides will call for cruise control and tunes for the alone rides. After all my little group often does 450-500 mile rides for a lunch. As you get better so will you. So why not get the very most confort for thr buck?
Note that the FHLT (standard) does not come with cruise or radio from the factory. But it does have the lowest base price of any of the baggers.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Chazzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Tourer line I have owned a Electra Glide Classic, Road King, and Ultra. From the softail line Heritage, Fatboy and Deluxe. It really depends on how many miles you are riding in a day. If your doing a lot of long rides, 400+ mile days back to back then the Electra Glide or Ultra. I currently have a 2005 Deluxe and a 2005 Goldwing. Both serve their purpose well.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 AM
PlanoRider
Advanced

Sounds like a personal preferrence issue totally from what I am hearing. You either like the way the ride feels on the baggers or you like the softail.....

I think the Road King is the only bagger I want to consider since the ones with a faring do not appeal to me. I think it is just that they look like they have a dashboard....... If I was going to go with a softail other than the fatboy like the Heritage I would have to say my preference would be for the Deluxe. It is a little lower and I like the more nostalgic look. But then we are back to the studded bags..... I really like the leather covered hard bags so that is what I would put on if it did not come that way.

So how many different bikes should I rent to really know the field?? Sportster? VROD? I hear the VROD is really fast but I think it would be sort of ironic to buy a Harley that does not sound like a Harley..... What about dyna's???

Old 02-27-2007, 02:19 AM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Other than the lack of engine vibration at idle, I don't see a compelling reason to buy a softail.
You might not but the vast majority of HD sales would point to others seeing a reason.

Like others have said, take each out for a long ride (a day or so). But I would start out with a smaller bike for at least a year, so you can really learn how to ride a bike before you go out and get a 700lb+ bike.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HD Bones
Took a few months to get used to the studded saddlebags but now I couldn't image the bike without them.
It's actually funny, but I'm in a slightly more advanced stage of what PlanoRider is going through. I got a Sportster last year and while I love riding it, I'm thinking that something a bit larger that is better suited to saddlebags would be in order. I've gone through a bit of a transition where I liked a nice clean look (no bags, no sissy bar, no windshield, solo seat, etc) to appreciating all of the above if not for form, definately for function.

I've been interested in Heritage Classic for many of the reasons listed by others. I am curious about something. I imagine, from what others have said, that the saddlebags are quick release in some way. The Harley site also shows the pillion as removable, so the question (or assumption) I have there is that the passenger backrest is also removeable?

I also like the Road King Classic so I'll just have to keep bouncing them both around in my head. I am curious about one thing regarding test riding. In my neck of the woods here, I don't see anything indicating that any of the local dealerships handle rentals. I have found one rental place out in Irving that runs about $140 a day (not counting whatever trumped up taxes and other fees they decide to tack on).

Does anyone in the Plano/Dallas area have any recommendations on the best way to test ride a Harley in this area?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:25 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baggers are becoming the bike of choice for alot of reasons. the best part is you can customize them just as easily as a softail and they are comfy!!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Snort
Road Captain

I'm gonna jump in on this one. I'm getting ready to buy either a RK Classic or a Heritage Softail. I like the look of the Heritage but want the added ride, motor, and tranny from the RK.
I too have never ridden a Harley, just dirt bikes and a few Honda street bikes a few years back.
I'm 44, single, and want a new pastime where I can turn the key and go. I don't want to buy a starter bike and then have to replace it in a year. I have friends and a brother that ride and I'm already meeting new people to ride with and I don't even own a bike yet.
This is a good thread. I'm going to do the rental thing myself and see what I want.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I chose the Deluxe after looking at several of the tourers and the Heritage Classic. I preferred the seat position and the retro look of the Deluxe. It can go from completely striped down to the riders seat to 2-up with bags in minutes. And, it looks great either way.

I had a chance to ride a Street Glide and a V-Rod Nightrod over the weekend. The SG was a great bike, but there wasn't a huge difference in the ride and it wasn't as comfortable for me as my Deluxe. The Nightrod was a whole 'nuther story. Very quick, but the forward controls were not good for me - kept torching my right leg on the pipes. I have to admit, however, that I was riding these bikes in high winds during a dust storm this past weekend, so it surely wasn't the best conditions!

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you out riding in Plano!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

I had a 1999 Heritage Softail Classic, it was a great bike - but last year I got the 2006 Road King Classic, it clearly has a better suspension and ride, especially if you carry passengers, the adjustable air suspension is great for handling the load.

The only thing I do not like about the RKC are the handle bars.

Quick Reply: Tourer vs Softail