General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourer vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Tourer vs Softail

ORIGINAL: PlanoRider

But what about handling?? Are there significant differences??

The Road King handles better than the Fatboy. The fatboy has less lean angle and will scrape in the curves sooner than the Roadking will. The Roadking has netural steering and will handle at parking lot speeds better.

If you decided to go with a Softail, the better choice would be a Heritage Classic. Comes with windshield and saddle bags for not much more than the Fatboy, and it is basically the same bike.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 AM
BIGBADCANE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Heritage Softail Classic, it comes with bags, windshield, passing lamps, a back rest and best of all, you can remove them and rid without them and then put them back on.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Gerard
Road Master

Like others have said, instead of a Fatboy being one of your choices, look at the Heritage Classic. I comes stock with everything you need for much cheaper than adding them to a Fatboy. I too was debating between a RK and my Heritage. The salesman kept pushing the RK since I am 6'5" tall but the Heritage actually felt better to me. I like the feel of sitting in a bike like the Heritage instead of sitting on top of the RK.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
69Shark
Tourer

I'd go with the Heritage Classic. It is a bit lighter for me and easier to move around.

Oh wait,
I did go with a Heritage Classic . . .

Scott

Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
PlanoRider
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the advice!! Keep it coming!!

I had not considered the Heritage Softail because I do not like the soft bags. I suppose I could just replace the bags.....

But there is something about the look of the Fatboy and the Road King that "bulky" look that I like. I don't know why but the softails with the smaller front tire and fenders look like sportsters to me........

From what everyone is saying it is going to be a personal preference thing based on how they feel to me when I ride them.......

Thanks again.....

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the heritage softail take all the junk off for everyday riding they handle great no matter what the glide people say I have put many 500 mile days on my standard and no bad affects and I am old 65 yrs most of my riding is done on short weekend rides 2-3 hundred miles never had mine botom ou with the wife on the back and saddlebags packed for the weekend my neighbor has a fat boy and he is his wife is no light weight either his only complaint is the stock seat my wife likes our stock one so to each his/her own - pic is at the end of a 500 mile day

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/7E9A546212844B73ACE60AC97B208815.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Gerard
Road Master

I had not considered the Heritage Softail because I do not like the soft bags. I suppose I could just replace the bags.....

But there is something about the look of the Fatboy and the Road King that "bulky" look that I like. I don't know why but the softails with the smaller front tire and fenders look like sportsters to me........

From what everyone is saying it is going to be a personal preference thing based on how they feel to me when I ride them.......

Thanks again.....
We think alike because I'm not a big fan of the Heritage studded saddlebags either. I replaced the softbags on my Heritage with HD lockable hard bags. They look sharp and sets mybike off from the other Heritages I have seen.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advice is great, but it's your butt on the bike and your money buying it. Test ride them both and see what you think. I had a Springer a year ago and now ride a RKC. Love the ride.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can convert my Road King from touring to street bike in less than 1 minute, same as the Heritage. I guarantee after a 500 mile day, you'd be better off on a Road King.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Thanks again.....
Well while your test riding, you might just take a Electra glide standard for a spin,
price right, windscreen with added benifit of fairing and hard bags.

Quick Reply: Tourer vs Softail