General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch out for trucks backing up

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Don't Shoot The Messenger

As the messenger, a few things come to mind -
1) If you can't see him in his mirror, he can't see you.
2) If you didn't leave "an out" you commited yourself "all in".
3) SEE - search, evaluate, execute (didn't, didn't, couldn't)

The important thing is that you are OK. Lessons learned!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Not trying to be thick, why did you stay so close to a truck?

Mom bought a brand new Mercedes c300 last year, same thing happened to her. She was so close to a truck and she was honking until the 5 tons truck destroyed half of the front end. DAMN!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I try to leave myself lots of room and options around any trucks. After seeing this I'll leave myself even more.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmf
He told the police he was lost and was backing up so he could turn around at the previous street.

This was at a stop sign leaving my subdivision, not really traffic.

The cop that came was actually a motorcycle cop I had met riding. He proceeded to chew the guy out and then issued multiple tickets.
About one month after buying my Road Glide I had a similar situation. I was at a stop sign behind an SUV when the *** decided to back up. I am beeping while trying to walk backwards faster then he is driving backward when he finally overtakes me and starts pushing me. I kept the bike in neutral while he pushed me backwards. The cop shows up and starts giving me crap saying I was too close to the guy! He refused to write the guy up because my bike had no visible damage, other then a small scratch above the headlight. BTW - The reason he did not see me was due to the four bikes he had strapped to a bike rack. It is definitely a crazy situation when someone is backing in to you because you are almost helpless....

Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM
mmf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Glad yer alive to talk about it...

But, I would have to say that you were in a very bad position when you stopped. He could not see you in either of his mirrors. It is his responsibility to know what is behind him before backing up, but at the same time it is your responsibility to leave yourself an 'out' when you stop behind other vehicles that big. Legally, his responsibility probably weighs more. But no matter who is at fault, if anyone is going to get hurt in that situation, the bike rider is. When riding the bike you gotta watch out for yourself, because nobody else can see you...
Guys your jumping to conclusions, I've been riding over 40 years and know to make sure someone can see you in their mirrors. I could see him in his mirror that's how I know he was on the phone.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmf
Guys your jumping to conclusions, I've been riding over 40 years and know to make sure someone can see you in their mirrors. I could see him in his mirror that's how I know he was on the phone.
I agree that too many people want to try to tell you what they "think" you did wrong, when the reality is that they just weren't there!! Nothing like the "Monday morning quarterbacks."

Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one that gets me are the people who back up because they pulled up to far and then forget to put the car in drive. Has happened 3 times while I was in my car and once while I was on a bike. On the bike I moved to the side but in the car I was stuck. Lucky for me I leave a good amount of room no matter what I am driving so I haven't been hit yet.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! I'm glad you got off in time. I hope it all (insurance) works out well for you.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks man. Glad you are ok. Sometimes this stuff happens and just can't be avoided by defensive driving alone on our parts.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your front wheel is lodged between his two rear wheels. I don't see how you could see him in his right side rear view mirror unless you leaned to your right to do that. Or, if you were far enough back. I'm certain he could not see you in his left side rear view mirror. In the case of you being far enough back to see him through his mirror, then I'd have to ask why did you wait so long for him to run over you like that? It seems like you should have had the room to drive around him before he hit you. I wasn't there, just thinking what I would have attempted according to what I see in that pic.

I make it an intentional effort to be seen behind other vehicles, because I know most drivers do not understand how to utilize their mirrors correctly. I am not casting blame on you, simply saying you should have taken better precautions. Now you know why.

Last edited by Def Mute; 06-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Watch out for trucks backing up