General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Lane

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Cav
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Billy Lane

ORIGINAL: khollister

Perhaps you missed the comment that Billy should be prosecuted for what he did? I just find it interesting that while the press is quick to point out that a biker"was not wearing a helmet" whensome idiot runs him down, they didn't avail themselves of this opportunity to muddy the waters. It is possible the accident would have had a different outcome if the victim wasn't also impaired and might have taken some evasive action. In either case, Billy screwed up.
No, I didn't miss anything, merely pointed out what would typically (in a court of law) be regarded as "immaterial and irrelevant" as regards the behavior of the accused. Accounts of the accident that we have seen do not have the victim passing multiple cars in a no passing zone, but observing proper lane dicipline. If he was where he was supposed to be, then what was your point in bringing it up, exactly, if not to (in your own words) "muddy the waters"?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,423 Likes on 6,180 Posts

I think he should fry. Not only was he driving drunk, but he hit and killed a fellow biker. I watched him on the Biker Build Off shows a couple of times, and I never cared much for him as a builder or a person. One time on the show his bike wouldnt run and the next time his bike caught fire and burned down on the side of the rode.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:18 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether or not the victim was intoxicated is irrelevant to a criminal prosecution. It may, however, be relevant in the civil action. I suspect the prosecutor dropped the DUI with serious bodily injury because it is a lesser included offense of the more serious charge. Some prosecutors file on everything from littering on up to the most serious charges they think the evidence will support, then discard the lesser charges once they know the strength of their evidence. If they do not drop the lesser charges, it is conceivable that, at arraignment, Lane could plead guilty to the lesser charge and foreclose the prosecution of the more serious charge because jeopardy has attached.

Suffice to say that it sounds like the prosecutor knows what he is doing. If the prosecutor is dropping the lesser charges and keeping the serious charge, I suspect that Lane is toast -- this one's going to trial.

<><Peace

Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, Bad *** Bike, Billy!!

[sm=hail.gif]

Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
redrocker
Cruiser

that picture would have been funnier if his hair was also on fire!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I would agree w/dadofsix. The other charges are most likely lesser included offenses in Florida. If you think about great bodily injury could mean anything up to and including death, whereas manslaughter means someone has died.

Let's hope he gets what he deserves and does not skate due to a sympathetic jury.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

They dropped the suspended license charge because he was recently found not guilty on the previous DUI charge in NC or wherever.
I bet the defense would have used the other charges to confuse a jury and gain Lane some sympathy. Specifically the suspended license one. I mean, obviously he DID drive with a suspended license but they could gain some sympathy if the suspension waslater considered a "mistake". Ifthis case is distilled down to one charge and simple guilt or innocence, this starts to look like an open/shut case.

Kevin

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
WillieC
Road Master

You make good rational points khollister and I tend to agree with you.

WillieC

Perhaps you missed the comment that Billy should be prosecuted for what he did? I just find it interesting that while the press is quick to point out that a biker"was not wearing a helmet" whensome idiot runs him down, they didn't avail themselves of this opportunity to muddy the waters. It is possible the accident would have had a different outcome if the victim wasn't also impaired and might have taken some evasive action. In either case, Billy screwed up.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i could be wrong. i hope i'm not but 5 will get you 10 . he gets a slap on the wrist. and walks .

Old 02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: boe1971200

Not only was he driving drunk, but he hit and killed a fellow biker.
I have a question. One of which I hope can be addressed sans anyone tossing out insults, slams, and the like. Let me first start out by saying that I think it's horrible that a motorcyclist was killed as a result of this incident. Let me make that point clear; as some might attempt to put a spin on even that.

Now then, in a forum filled with infighting, lines drawn, judgments of lifestyle, disagreement on who's what, and the like,it seems rather unfortunateit takes a motorcyclist GETTING KILLED for folks to 'come together' as one?The comment of 'fellow biker' was made as it related to the fallen victim. Chances are, that same 'fellow biker' (hadhe posted here on the boards) could very well have been met with anymosity, judgements, called to prove his mettle at every turn, etc etc. But he'sregarded as a 'fellow biker' now that he's dead?Why is that? He may not have been 'good enough for some of you folks' when he was alive (if any of the posts on these boards are any indication).But now that he's gone, he was a 'fellow biker?' It's almost insulting that some of those very people who would more than likely slam the guy in life, now call him one of their own in death. Again, hopefully folks can see what point I am trying to make, digest the statement for a moment, and come to terms with the fact that if we're ultimately our own worse enemy (infighting, board bullshit), then what good are we to on another out there on the often times dangerous roadways?

Again, and not to be misinterpreted, my regards go out to the fallen victims family and loved ones.

Quick Reply: Billy Lane