General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes you meet the best people.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:25 AM
JekyllnHyde
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Sometimes you meet the best people.

I was out riding today on some back roads just south of Concord, NC (Route 601 for those who may be familiar with the area). As I approached an intersection I noticed on my left three older men trying to lift a white bike off the ground. Of course I stopped to help. Other then a scraped knee the guy wasn't hurt, and no real damage to the bike. He lost it on some gravel making a right turn. All three men were in there mid 70's. Just to paint a picture. One was on a 2003 Kawasaki Concours (very tall, geared up, armored jacket, 3/4 helmet), the other on a Yamaha VStar 1100 (short, stocky 1/2 helmet, t-shirt), and the guy who went down was on a 2004 Honda Shadow (tall & lanky,leather vest, biker wallet w/chain, half helmet).

What happened after that was one of those times when you're just glad you had the chance to to meet some great people. The Honda was flooded and wouldn't start so I stayed there with them, and then the comedy began. These guys were full of life, and almost childlike...in a good way. One guy turns to the guy that went down and said, "You CAN'T tell your daughter what happened". The guy who went down said, "I have to, if she finds out on her own she'll really be mad". "NO!" other guys said, "she won't let you ride and that'll mess up everything, then I'll have to ride alone with him", pointing to the guy on the Concours. Then he says, "plus it takes all three of us to get the bike up, what'll we do when it happens again." I said, "WHEN it happens again?". "Oh, yeah, we drop our bikes all the time but it's at very slow speeds or at a stop." And they all laughed about it...I did too. lol

The guy on the Concours told me about a day he dropped his bike in his gravel driveway. He said to himself, "F'K it!!", and left the bike laying on its side in the driveway, then went inside and told his wife he' selling that "damn thing". Half hour goes by and the Sheriff calls him after noticing his bike laying on the driveway. The conversation went something like this. Sheriff: "Mr, Johnson, is that your motorcycle in your driveway?", Mr. Johnson: "Yes it is". Sheriff: You know it's on the ground", Johnson: "I know, I dropped it and left the Fk'in thing there". Sheriff: "I'll get if for you and put in in your garage". Johnson: "Thanks, the keys are in it". The next day his wife asks him when he's going to sell the bike. He said, "I'm not going to sell my bike, I LOVE that bike. Are you crazy...why would I sell it?" LOL These guys had me rolling. I talked to them for about 30 minutes and not 10 seconds went by where we weren't busting out laughing. The stories and the banter between the three of them went on and on.

They were like three young kids, best friends looking for adventure. You could hear the enthusiasm in their voices. I'm not sure how long they've been riding but one guy did say he just got back into riding a couple of years ago. According to them, they're on the road every chance they get.

I know this is one of these "you had to be there" moments, but these guys were great and I wanted to share this story. I had a blast talking with them. I hope I'm doing when they are 25 years from now...well, except for dropping the bikes. LOL

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:30 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

Thats what its all about!

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:43 AM
JekyllnHyde
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Absolutely! I met a lot of great and interesting people on the road over the years. These guys just reminded me that there's a lot more to meet.

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:01 AM
Shortmag
Road Master

Sounds like a trio of good ol boys

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:03 AM
Mathom
Ultimate HDF Member

That's a great story to read, wish more would share great moments like this including me. Thanks for sharing

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:16 AM
gant
Road Master

sounds like men just being men lol get out much?

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:16 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Sounds like a good time lol

Old 06-16-2013 | 05:00 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior

Sounds like you had a blast. Thanks for the story.

Old 06-16-2013 | 05:51 AM
03Custom883
Road Captain

Good story. I've met a few guys over the past 2 years riding and still talk to them and still meet up with them for a ride here and there. That's why I tell myself see there still are some good people out there.

Old 06-16-2013 | 05:53 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Thank you for posting that story.Isn't that what it is all about..

Quick Reply: Sometimes you meet the best people.