General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes you meet the best people.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013 | 09:13 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

Nice story, wish I could meet those 3 guys. They sound like a lot of fun!

Old 06-17-2013 | 05:21 AM
Black Gator
Tourer

May God bless them. They get it! They ride 'cause it's their passion. I wish they had the gift of Harley-Davidsons but, at least they're out there living. May they never encounter the malevolence/vitriol of the self-appointed "poser police".

Old 06-17-2013 | 05:52 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SaggyPants
I wonder why 3 senior citizens and 1 other man felt like they had to lift the bike off the ground. It appears to me as if they should have been trying to stand it up on two wheels and not lift the bike off the ground. I don't get it because there are some very popular Youtube videos that will show you how to set a fallen bike back up on two wheels. No doubt many of you have seen the vids, the best one is the demonstration given by a little itty-bitty woman. I don't know, if she could do it it would seem like a 70 year old man could do it, maybe. I don't know any 70 year old men who ride so I don't know if a healthy 70 year old track and field athlete could upright a fallen bike. But then again they do have the Senior Olympics here in the U.S.
I think its safe to assume the 3 old cards were only trying to "stand" the bike up. If you were to ask them I'm sure they would have a good story

I'd ride with them any day, as long as they were riding in front lol

Great story, thanks for sharing

Old 06-17-2013 | 07:55 AM
JekyllnHyde
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by baka1969
Great story. I'll share one I just had a few weeks back although not quite as entertaining.

I'm on my way to Chicago and I stop at one of the service plazas to gas up and stretch my legs. I also wanted to make sure my luggage was still in order.

I pull up to a parking spot and see a nice BMW GS with hard bags all dressed for traveling. The guy, who was in his mid 30s, was going through one of the hard bags and I say "Hello" and ask where he's headed. He asked if I had ever heard of the Iron Butt competitions and I said I had.

He proceeded to tell me he was doing the 1000/24 trip and was about a little more than a 1/3 of the way through. He then told me it was his 2nd try and had come out short the first time because he took too long. I asked how he liked the bike and wished hom good luck.

I went into the plaza to do my thing. When I come back out into the parking lot he's still there. Now he's cleaning his fly screen. This was about 5 minutes later. Asks if I need any Windex to clean my windshield. I told him I use Pledge. I notice he doesn't seem to be in any rush. I was resting myself and wasn't on any schedule so I didn't mind the chat. So another 10 minutes of shooting the **** passes. I then say to him "Hey don't you have to be on your way?". He said he was ahead of schedule. But I couldn't see how he could be so early into it.

I get myself squared away and mount my bike. I wished him good luck again and off I went to fill up the tank.

He seemed like a nice and friendly guy. Just didn't seem to be in any rush to get 1000 miles in the 24 hour span.

I think maybe he wanted to just get away from his wife and wasn't in a a hurry to return.

Thanks for the good story OP.
It's no wonder he came up short the first time. Bet he did the 2nd time too. lol

Old 06-17-2013 | 08:01 AM
JekyllnHyde
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SaggyPants
I wonder why 3 senior citizens and 1 other man felt like they had to lift the bike off the ground. It appears to me as if they should have been trying to stand it up on two wheels and not lift the bike off the ground. I don't get it because there are some very popular Youtube videos that will show you how to set a fallen bike back up on two wheels. No doubt many of you have seen the vids, the best one is the demonstration given by a little itty-bitty woman. I don't know, if she could do it it would seem like a 70 year old man could do it, maybe. I don't know any 70 year old men who ride so I don't know if a healthy 70 year old track and field athlete could upright a fallen bike. But then again they do have the Senior Olympics here in the U.S.
You really pick words apart, don't you? LOL Obviously they weren't trying to lift the bike in the air. As far as the youtube videos you mentioned, I'm not certain but I'd say these guys didn't spend a lot of time on a computer, if at all. Not everyone has seen these videos, and I'm sure there are many who have took a peek at them but never practiced that technique.

Old 06-17-2013 | 08:27 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Supporter

There are many stories that everyone that rides has, we have come across many ourselves. One that made us laugh I'll share here.
My wife and I came out of a restaurant to see two young kids and their mom looking at all the bikes parked. As we went to ours they followed. The boy asked questions and was so excited. I asked mom if she wanted to let the kids sit on the bike it was okay. We picked them up set them on after a few minutes of vroom sounds our friends were coming out so we took the kids off. Got my wife on the mom said to the kids to say thank you to us. The boy said to mom how fun it would be to ride on a motorcycle. Mom turned to him and said did you know mommy rode on the back of a motorcycle from CA to MA. The two kids mouth opened wide and there eyes showed shock. I said to mom guess he just learned something new about mom. She leaned over and said dad does not know that either but guess he will today. We laughed the rest of the way home.

Old 06-17-2013 | 09:26 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Great story......thanks for sharing!

Old 06-17-2013 | 08:23 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool story! Reminds me of a couple of old timers I know.