General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I caved in and bought a ricer jacket.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
camarotuner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I caved in and bought a ricer jacket.

After going back and forth over the FXRG jacket I stopped at a local ricer dealership because I wanted a better look at the one Ducati. Hats off to them, that new flat black/chrome accents bike is sweeeet looking. Then I noticed the clothing section, I figured I would get a good laugh out of this. Yeah most of it was REALLY not my thing. We're talking riding jackets with a dozen colors in bold flashy overdone designs here. Then I noticed a nice black Joe Rocket jacket. Heavily padded, adjustable straps all over, removable liner, waterproof, two regular external pockets and two HUGE internal ones.... and it's on sale for 120 bucks. Bought it. My 454 revolver actually fits into the inner pocket, I'm rather thrilled. It's comfortable, rather warm, and should serve me well if I crash.

Oh well, at least it's a really NICE ricer jacket, and solid black. It'll do. Oh yeah it's called a Phoenix 4.0 whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Cav
Road Warrior
Default RE: So I caved in and bought a ricer jacket.

Joe Rocket makes some very nice stuff.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:07 PM
bosnmate
Banned

I have just one question for you. If you put the jacket on and sit on your bike will it still start?

Seriously, they make some nice stuff. But most of the ricer stuff is a little over the top. I think the ricers look like power rangers. But, they have as much fun on their bikes as we do ours. To each their own.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:08 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with alot of the non-Harley stuff out there. My present jacket is a Hein-Gerich V Pilot. Best jacket I ever had. It's too bad they don't make it any more.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of safer riding gear. Now the bad news is you could have gotten that same jacket for way less on www.newenough.com Hubby and I each ride over 35,000 miles each year using 2 wheels as our transporatation and we teach riding to others. We would never wear anything other than armoured gear. Congrats on coming to your senses and taking that extra step to protect your skin.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We both have JR jackets and full gauntlet gloves. However, for close around we are guilty of sporting our HD gear or lack thereof.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:43 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So jackets that don't sport a harley logo are 'ricer' jackets?

I've been wearing waterproof armored textile jackets for 15 years. Currently a Joe Rocket. Harley was way behind when they started offering their line of all-weather riding gear.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:50 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

As lng as it is black, you are in the clear IMO...

Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200babe

Welcome to the world of safer riding gear. Now the bad news is you could have gotten that same jacket for way less on www.newenough.com Hubby and I each ride over 35,000 miles each year using 2 wheels as our transporatation and we teach riding to others. We would never wear anything other than armoured gear. Congrats on coming to your senses and taking that extra step to protect your skin.
Seems he got it cheaper than what your website sells it for.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In over thirty-five years of riding, I've always chosen function, fit and value over form. As a result, I've always got a mix 'n match variety of riding gear from companies like Tourmaster, Joe Rocket, Shift, etc. Regardless of the type of bike I've owned at any given moment, I never felt the need to dress up like a Power Ranger or a pirate (I do have a variety of doo-rags to wear under my helmet, as I'm bare of hair on top and these help keep my helmet clean inside—they come off with the helmet). I've also not been inclined to further advertise the brand of motorcycle I'm riding (they already have company ID on them). To each his or her own, but why pay $600+ for something, when you can get equivalent function, quality, etc., for half that?

Quick Reply: So I caved in and bought a ricer jacket.