General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Tire on Motorbikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Tire on Motorbikes

So curious. A good buddy who loves to build rat bikes just put together this 'ugly" I was blown away to learn the rear tire is a car tire. He apparently has done this many times before claiming they way out last bike tires, better quality and didn't take much adjustment with the right size car tire. AND waaaayyy cheaper.
I don't know the details other than looking, it's the size of a fat bike tire.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
tinmarine
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a guy on the job I'm at that runs a car tire on his valkrie. He had to replace his rear tire every season. He has 10, 000 miles on the car tire and it still looks new. Claims he has all kinds of traction more stable and it cost $135. It's a hydroedge, forgot what brand that is. He won't go back.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not one single tyre manufacturer recommends putting car tyres on a motorcycle - that's why bikes come with the tyres they do. I don't believe you'll find a tyre engineer who'll recommend it either.

Motorcycles have very different requirements from their tyres and their construction (and cost) reflects that.

Naturally, any advice you get from the people who manufactured (and designed and tested) your tyres will be absolute nonsense that you can safely ignore.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Nothing new, been going on for years.

There's even a whole section dedicated to this on this forum.
Check out "The Dark Side" section.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, there are Web sites and other forum sites for bikes with Car tires.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,176 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Been hearing it for over 30 years. The argument was that the tread on a car tire doesn't extend up around the sides like it does on a bike tire. So, when you lean hard into a curve, a sudden loss of traction could occur. The guys that do it still swear by it though. I figure that if you don't wear out a tire once in a while, you aren't riding enough.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember some friends back in the '70s running car tires just cause they was cheaper and quicker to get and for no other reason.

I was at the dealer a while back getting tires and we was talking about this. They said I could run car tires on mine if I wanted. I knew if I wanted I would but surprised they didn't give me an argument. Then again as I mentioned, back in the '70s it was pretty common and never heard of any issues....even with the square edges on car tires.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not a fan of car tires on bikes, but people have been doing it for years now. I will keep running bike tires on my bike.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
Not one single tyre manufacturer recommends putting car tyres on a motorcycle - that's why bikes come with the tyres they do. I don't believe you'll find a tyre engineer who'll recommend it either.

Motorcycles have very different requirements from their tyres and their construction (and cost) reflects that.

Naturally, any advice you get from the people who manufactured (and designed and tested) your tyres will be absolute nonsense that you can safely ignore.
Typical naysayer. My car tire (proper US spelling) works great! no spinning on the rim, riding on the sidewall or any of the other issues the non-believers spout.... No negative items to report. only positive results across the board!

The following users liked this post:
CoachMoe (10-31-2019)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I rode on a car tire for over 20,000 miles on my previous bike. Handled just fine, had better traction, especially on wet roads. I know a lot of guys who run car tires on their bikes and I hear no complaints. I wouldn't take advice on this subject from someone who has never tried it.

Remember, they told Columbus the world was flat, too.

Quick Reply: Car Tire on Motorbikes