General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Slim or 2013 Street Bob opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013 | 11:44 AM
Calif Fat Bob
|
Road Warrior
Default 2013 Slim or 2013 Street Bob opinions welcome

Newbie poster here. I've done a ton of reading and would welcome some input from the guys in the know here.

I'm a L O N G time dirt bike rider. Started riding at 10 and I'm 50 this year. In the last few years have had a couple of nasty crashes and now looking to cruise more low-n-slow as it were.

I'm 5'7 185lbs and now have a "pirate limp" from a recent broken leg (more dirt bike fun)

So I been researching the 2013 Slim. Love the retro look and minimalist bling. I went into Dudley Perkins HD this weekend for a test ride.

Liked the bike. The heel shifter bugged me but that can be removed. The hollywood bars are cool but full turns at slow speeds are a reach for me. The bike felt solid and heavy, but not too bad concidering it was my first time on a big cruiser.

Came back and talked to the sales guy (later found out his last name was Perkins) about the ride. After chit chatting a bit he said "you know you really should try the Street Bob. Has the bobber look you want and dirt bike guys really seem to gravitate towards it"

So I took it out for a ride. The bike "fit" a bit better. The power with the 96" was plenty. Turned better and felt a bit more in control at slower speeds and slow turns. But the front end seemed to bounce more on the rough road I was on. Not sure if the narrower wheel is the reason or the thin forks.

Anyway I really liked both bikes for different reasons. I can't buy both so I'm stuck.

Any opinions or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance . . .

Old 06-11-2013 | 12:01 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

Had a Street Bob and a Softail (not a Slim, but a Fat Boy). They are defintely 2 different bikes. Loved both bikes, but the B motor of the Softail is just a bit boring to me. The Dyna (Street Bob) has a stiffer suspension and was not nearly as comfortable for 2-up riding. There are many other differences, but these are just a few of my quick opinions.

So with that, you need to look beyond the looks of the bike and ask yourself what do you want. What fits better? Do you want the traditional vibration of the Dyna motor? Are you going to be doing a lot of 2-up riding (if so, neither bike is ideal)? Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 06-11-2013 | 12:08 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

id go with the bob, that slim has the least amount of lean angel for any Harley...a lot of customization available to get either bike to fit you, bars seats ect ect......or a fat bob, like mine.....wider front end with a wider shorter front wheel....doesn't bounce around at all......rides like hot runny butter....

Old 06-11-2013 | 12:37 PM
Calif Fat Bob
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SouthpawHD
Had a Street Bob and a Softail (not a Slim, but a Fat Boy). They are defintely 2 different bikes. Loved both bikes, but the B motor of the Softail is just a bit boring to me. The Dyna (Street Bob) has a stiffer suspension and was not nearly as comfortable for 2-up riding. There are many other differences, but these are just a few of my quick opinions.

So with that, you need to look beyond the looks of the bike and ask yourself what do you want. What fits better? Do you want the traditional vibration of the Dyna motor? Are you going to be doing a lot of 2-up riding (if so, neither bike is ideal)? Good luck and keep us informed.
Thanks. The vibration from the Dyna was not an issue. No two up riding as I would be solo most all the time. Bike would be used for shorter trips maybe 200 miles max overnighters.

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
id go with the bob, that slim has the least amount of lean angel for any Harley...a lot of customization available to get either bike to fit you, bars seats ect ect......or a fat bob, like mine.....wider front end with a wider shorter front wheel....doesn't bounce around at all......rides like hot runny butter....
I sat on the Fat Bob but could not reach the forward controls very well (28" inseam). I know they could be move back and maybe I do need to look at the Fat Bob as it has the larger front end with the Dyna chassis. Might be the best of both worlds. And yes the lean angle on the Slim had me worried during the test ride. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-11-2013 | 02:18 PM
Island Dude
Road Captain

If you go slim, plan on a new seat, the stock one wore on my bones in just a few miles. I'm past your age, should have gotten the RKC in the first place. Have a dyna SG, sets a little higher but I like the ride as well as the slim, does not look as cool.

Old 06-11-2013 | 02:48 PM
baimo
Tourer

I love my slim but have changed the seat and am putting 12" apes on Friday. I find the stock handlebars a stretch for slow speeds and turns. I hope the apes leaned back a little fix that feel.

Old 06-11-2013 | 02:50 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Now try a fat bob and see what you think

Old 06-11-2013 | 03:36 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Flip a coin. Then make the winning bike yours with a few mods.

Old 06-11-2013 | 04:06 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Never really cared for the Bob, I would go with the Slim. Good luck with whichever bike you choose.

Old 06-11-2013 | 04:18 PM
Jesla
Outstanding HDF Member

Slim… but I'm kinda bias.

Quick Reply: 2013 Slim or 2013 Street Bob opinions welcome