General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for people with good knowledge of handlebar sizes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Rnt77
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for people with good knowledge of handlebar sizes

Found these (or something very similiar on Craigslist, but havent got them yet...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Super-Fa...d6c791&vxp=mtr

Question: Anybody know based upon description if these fit touring HD models for years prior to '99?

Also, how do i know if new longer lines are needed too? Are they always needed whenever you go with anything taller than stock?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Torinstealth
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Measure your risers and stock bars & compare to the specs listed on the ebay page. From what its says about the taper down from 1 1/4 to 1" for the controls, it should fit. I recently replaced my bars with Chubby bars from Wild1's & they did the same taper down to accommodate the controls & risers.

You'll almost surely need a longer throttle cable & brake line.

Things to consider before doing this:

The wires for the controls run along an indented grove on the bottom of the stock bars. Most after market bars do not have this grove meaning the only way to instal is to cut all your wires, splice extensions into them & run them through the bars. especially because these bars are so much bigger you'll have to really extend them. The right way is to solder the wires & use heat shrink tubing over your solders for water protection. This is not fun & trying to fit all that through the bars is tricky. PM me if you want advice or help.

Also, consider the effect these bars will have on your bike's handling. I've never ridden anything with such an extreme rise as these mini apes you're looking at, but Harleys already have very imprecise & vague steering; Do you really want to make those qualities worse? My bike came with the dirt bike style bars & I swapped those for drag bars which helped tighten up my front end by improving my steering geometry. They also changed my riding triangle putting more of my weight on the front end which helps keep the front end from acting up. With those mini ape bars, you bike will be slower, more dangerous in low traction situations & it will be harder for you to stay warm with more wind & rain hitting your core. My advice is to go in the opposite direction, lower bars.

Last edited by Torinstealth; 06-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.