General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high is your toe shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How high is your toe shifter?

For those who have floorboards, how high do you adjust your toe shifter? This is my first bike with floorboards and I cant even come close to getting the front of by boot or shoe under the shifter. So its pretty much a matter of catching the shift lever with the sole/side of my foot. Or use the heel shifter.

So where do you keep your shifter set? I'm thinking about 1/4" taller than my shoe could be a target but that might be a reach for downshiting. Size 18 shoe/17 boot, have extended shift levers and extended floorboards if that matters.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

There is no rule, try some different positions and decide for yourself.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

size 18..wow. I would think you need at least 1/2 inch of room to slide your foot under the peg easily.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bobg03
There is no rule, try some different positions and decide for yourself.

That.

Mine's at about a 30 degree angle to clear the steel toes.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on how you use the shifters...

You can leave it low enough to just click into gear when down shifting, IF you use the rear shifter to up shift. And, again, the rear shifter would be low enough to click into gear before hitting the floor board.

If you do not use the rear shifter, for up shifting, you will need to leave enough room to get your toe under the front shifter. That would only be a comfort issue, if you use only the front shifter to shift up AND down.

Last edited by Def Mute; 06-10-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

I keep my toe shifter about 1/2" to 5/8" above the toe box of my boot. This gives me room to move my foot around on the footboard and minimize my boot getting caught on the shifter peg.

You just have to experiment to determine the optimal position for YOU.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just enough to slip my toe under it.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:12 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You kinda answered your own question there...The toe shifter is for down shifts and the heel shifter is for up shifts. They only need to be high enough to do the deed.

Mark

Old 06-09-2013, 03:59 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,299 Likes on 1,859 Posts

The guys have it right.
For heel & toe use (which I always do) I keep the shifter ***** as low as possible.
This greatly reduces the amount of travel which you will need to raise your foot to change gears.

Some people choose to purchase and install elongated levers to accommodate their personal needs.

On my wife's '08 Heritage, I had to order an elongated heel (rear) shift lever, and had to have a shorter toe (front) shift lever fabricated because of her height due to the fact that she sits too far toward the rear of the bike.

Funny thing, she didn't have this problem with her '99 Heritage.
I think it had something to do with the seat vs handlebars positioning.
I wanted to make the "adjustment" with a seat change but she liked the sea and there wasn't very much difference (if any)in the cost of new shift levers vs a new seat.

Either way, she's happy with the lever(s) set-up and she always uses the heel-toe levers--even though it was a real challenge explaining it to her!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:32 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KYBill
For those who have floorboards, how high do you adjust your toe shifter? This is my first bike with floorboards and I cant even come close to getting the front of by boot or shoe under the shifter. So its pretty much a matter of catching the shift lever with the sole/side of my foot. Or use the heel shifter.

So where do you keep your shifter set? I'm thinking about 1/4" taller than my shoe could be a target but that might be a reach for downshiting. Size 18 shoe/17 boot, have extended shift levers and extended floorboards if that matters.
Ride aound for awhile and play with the adjustment. You will find what works for you in different traffic situations etc...

Quick Reply: How high is your toe shifter?