General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brakes saved my ass last night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013 | 05:45 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
They never learn how to properly brake a bike, ****, there are still many riders that believe in using the rear brakes only. I work with a guy that has gone through 3 sets of rear pads and is still on the factory front pads.

Dave

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:20 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=Markk9;11408560]For riding on a public road, were the surface is changing every foot you travel, you will not be able to thresh hold brake as well. On a closed course, with a known conditions, thresh hold braking works great.

ABS is not prefect, you still must know to use your brakes, but I would much rather have the ABS, knowing it's short comings.

I think a lot of riders assume ABS is the save all, end all of using their brakes. They never learn how to properly brake a bike, ****, there are still many riders that believe in using the rear brakes only. I work with a guy that has gone through 3 sets of rear pads and is still on the factory front pads.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it is MUCH much worse than this... MANY riders have no idea what counter-steering is and STILL believe that 'laying the bike down and riding it like a skate board' is THE thing to do... Sad/SCARY...

In addition, regarding the ABS discussion; There are a LOT of riders who do not have ABS, wish they did, and can do nothing but find-fault/poke-holes in the technology... I understand the skills involved, heck I have been riding since mid-60's, been in an awful wreck (Toole, Utah) going XC/back to college, and I understand human nature that may be 'behind the (financial/re-sale) curve'... But FWIW, if/when YOU do the homework, you will eventually conclude that (integrated/combined) ABS is THE way to go... The sooner you get there, the better... I am praying for YOU...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 06-13-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2013 | 06:30 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For THOSE that knock ABS, put it this way: If you're activating the ABS, you're probably not as good as braking as you think anyway.

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:48 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure if I've ever activated it. Would I know, like slap me in the face, I'd know if I had activated it?

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:53 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You will know.....the brakes will start pulsing much faster than you could do it by hand or foot
Originally Posted by Clubber
I'm not sure if I've ever activated it. Would I know, like slap me in the face, I'd know if I had activated it?

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:57 PM
ibfree2855
Tourer

I don't leave home without it.

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:58 PM
Luckyme1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will never buy a touring bike with out them.

Old 06-13-2013 | 07:03 PM
Luckyme1
Cruiser

I purchased a 2005 BMW K1200LT with ABS. At my second service with 12000 miles. I mentioned this to the service tech. I had never activated them, and wondered how well they worked. He told me to ride on a wet road, with no traffic, go at least 35 MPH, and grab the front brake handle like nobody's business. Then do the same with the rear, and then try both.
I did that a few days later, scared about what to expect. But......Wow. It was so cool to come to stops on a wet road without control issues.
The Harley antilocks seem a bit less refined, but work well all the same. This is my fourth bike with antilocks. They are a must have now.

Old 06-13-2013 | 07:56 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

You would definitely know it. With the rear brake it feels to me like somebody hitting the bottom of the brake pedal with a hammer or something. Similar to the way it did the other night when I braked too hard driving my wife's Honda Odyssey As far as the front brake for me it was a little more subtle but it feels like the lever is kind of vibrating I guess. Like others have said a wet surface is a good place to try it out on in part because it's a lot easier to get it to activate.

Old 06-13-2013 | 08:32 PM
02FXD
Intermediate

What year/models did they start offering ABS?

Quick Reply: ABS brakes saved my ass last night...