General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brakes saved my ass last night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013 | 09:53 PM
texaszman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaggyPants
And the definition of "game changer" is

"A study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) revealed that motorcycles equipped with antilock brakes are 37 percent less likely to be involved in a fatal crash than models without ABS. That is a tremendous risk reduction, with no compromise to the rider, beyond purchase price."

source: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ck-brakes.html

notice key words "tremendous risk reduction"
Exactly. Yet the dummies at the dealership I bought the bike from kept telling me I didn't need to spend the money. I've already had occasion to use mine on my Breakout - would not buy a bike without it....

Old 06-09-2013 | 10:15 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
Hell, ABS has only been on motorcycle - in a big way - for about 10 or 12 years. You can see exactly how people did stopping on wet surfaces. Generally pretty poorly.

www.youtube.com/conedown
I agree. I was attempting to refer to the video. Those guys were intentionally pulling too hard, I want to see a legitimate comparison so nay-sayers can relax a little.

Old 06-09-2013 | 10:52 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Good riding without panic. And ya, the ABS.

Glad you're Ok. Wish I got that ABS option on my Slim. You can't add it post-factory either. Sucks.

Old 06-09-2013 | 11:50 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ABS saved me a couple of months ago. Some stupid woman didn't want to wait for a bus coming down the street and decided to blow a stop sign. Conditions were also dry, the videos just showed the guys stopping on a wet surface but for the non pro rider the benefits are also worth it in dry conditions. Someone said they hadn't heard anything about ABS being mandatory but I seem to remember having seen exactly that somewhere. I want to say fox news but it could have been American Iron.

Old 06-10-2013 | 08:19 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I wont buy a new bike without ABS. It has saved my bacon a couple of times.

Old 06-10-2013 | 09:18 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 45fan
Shutty way find out the ABS works, but glad it turned out. Did you have a "conversation" with the dude in the car? It never ceases to amaze me at how many stupid people there are in this world..
I was also wondering about the conversation.

Glad it worked as expected and you are okay!

Old 06-10-2013 | 02:13 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

I have ABS on my 2012 FLHX and a couple times I gave felt the rear wheel ABS engage but I have yet to feel the front wheel ABS engage. I know the rear wheel gets lighter as braking is occurring hence the rear ABS engaging before the front. But I was wondering if my front ABS is working at all. I don't want to go out and perform a panic stop to find out if the front is working properly. But I would like to know if it is.
Is there any other way to find out if the front is working properly without making a panic stop with the front brakes?

Old 06-10-2013 | 02:39 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
Nah, I just don't want karma to run over my dogma.

I'm hardly rich when it comes to money, but if I can give a little back for all that the motorcycling world has done for me...

Every so often I'll get an email from someone telling me about a situation where something in the booklet made a difference for them between a crash and not. Donald Trump doesn't feel any richer than I do when that happens .

It's free. Always has been and always will be.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
It's a good read and I've read it multiple times even though I've been riding for 35+ years. When I get too old to learn better riding skills I'll quit riding.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-10-2013 | 03:16 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
I have ABS on my 2012 FLHX and a couple times I gave felt the rear wheel ABS engage but I have yet to feel the front wheel ABS engage. I know the rear wheel gets lighter as braking is occurring hence the rear ABS engaging before the front. But I was wondering if my front ABS is working at all. I don't want to go out and perform a panic stop to find out if the front is working properly. But I would like to know if it is.
Is there any other way to find out if the front is working properly without making a panic stop with the front brakes?
On good pavement, and if you're applying the front brake properly, it's actually a little difficult to get a front wheel lock-up or ABS activation.

However, it's well worth activating it, so you know what to expect if it happens. The H-D system deliberately has a very significant pulse in the lever and pedal during ABS. This is so you know it's happening, but it can be disconcerting.

If you can find a good open area to practice, the easiest way to activate the front ABS is to deliberately mis-apply the front brake. Instead of squeezing, then progressing, just "snap" the front front brake lever on. This prevents there from being time for weight transfer to occur, so it will go into ABS much more quickly. This is probably the safest way to absolutely ensure you've got ABS, since if it's not there, you will get a locked wheel skid, and be in a safe environment to release immediately.

Another way to learn something about your machine, which seeing how ABS works is brake on a gravel road. You will get less perceived pulse in the lever, and it will likely initially seem like the brakes aren't working. What is really happening is the brakes are giving you all they can without locking, which - on a bad surface - is not much.

Now, before you start off on these exercises, make sure you're not getting any error messages from your ABS.

When you start the motorcycle, you should have a flashing ABS light. This should go out once you get moving above 3 MPH, then go out, and stay out, until you next shut off the machine.

If you get an ABS light (steady or flashing) your system has an error, and is inoperative. You still have brakes, but you do not have ABS.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 06-12-2013 | 04:27 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ABS makes me feel like I need to start slowing down sooner than I did on my 06 without ABS. If it takes a longer distance to stop with ABS then what is the advantage?

Quick Reply: ABS brakes saved my ass last night...