General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brakes saved my ass last night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013 | 01:18 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
I'm still trying to decide if I like it. The statistics show it's better and safer, but for me it feels like I lose stopping time.
On a clean, dry road ABS will take a longer distance to stop, not much maybe 10 feet. But, unless you are a top level rider, you can't break as well as ABS.

On a public street, were the surface changes by the inch, ABS will stop you in a shorter distance.

Old 06-09-2013 | 02:13 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
On a clean, dry road ABS will take a longer distance to stop, not much maybe 10 feet. But, unless you are a top level rider, you can't break as well as ABS.

On a public street, were the surface changes by the inch, ABS will stop you in a shorter distance.

In either case the odds of you remaining upright will be greatly increased with ABS.

Keeping the rubber on the road longer will bring you to a slower speed quicker and reduce the amount of energy involved in any potential impact.

Old 06-09-2013 | 02:33 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad YOU are OK... I will not own a bike without ABS... The facts/statistics speak for themselves... VERY soon ABS will be a requirement on m-cycles... Integrated/combined ABS are the next genre and becoming very common...

I have had ABS brakes for over 5 years and I have done a LOT of riding/touring/XC... They 'saved my *** a few times'...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 06-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2013 | 04:12 PM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GliderDude
ABS... Saved my *** a few times...
I've seen a few posts on here stating the same. Some even say "many times." You guys must ride somewhat recklessly if you've needed it that often.

Old 06-09-2013 | 04:21 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,092 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent777
I've seen a few posts on here stating the same. Some even say "many times." You guys must ride somewhat recklessly if you've needed it that often.
Yeah, that's how we roll, man.

Old 06-09-2013 | 04:32 PM
SaggyPants
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderDude
VERY soon ABS will be a requirement on m-cycles...
A requirement in some European countries but I haven't read anything anywhere that says that ABS brakes will be 'required' in the U.S. The manufacturers seem to be in slow motion or stuck on stupid in the ABS department. I know HD offers them as an option on the lower priced $13K Dyna Street Bob which is nice, real nice. I like Vics but for Victory to not offer them on bikes like the Vegas, Highball, Boardwalk or Judge is really stupid of their engineers, developers, and shot callers, because we're talking about saving lives.

Old 06-09-2013 | 04:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
no, it won't not unless you make a mistake in braking. in that case, you could make the same mistake on a non-abs bike just as easily.

Old 06-09-2013 | 05:14 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I like my ABS, can't say it's saved my bacon but I've definitely activated them on several occasions. I like to think that I could have stopped just as effectively without them, but will never know for sure.

My only issue I have is the way they release the back brake. A bit dangerous sometimes. The situation happens when you're on the brake and the wheel hops on a bump, like a pot hole, or if you hit something like a train track. The wheel stops momentarily which is enough for the ABS to literally lift the brake pedal and release the brake. Anyone else notice that?

Old 06-09-2013 | 05:25 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had ABS on my last two Harleys. Totalled the first one,but lived,because a deer jumped a guard rail and center punched me in the headlight at 65 mph.I was heeled over in a big sweeping curve,and even though I mashed both brakes,the scoot didn't straighten up,had good control right through impact. I've dodged a dozen or so others,roads up in the mountains here hold a lot of gravel,and shoulders are deep gravel. ABS makes it all manageable,without a lot of drama.

Old 06-09-2013 | 07:09 PM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clubber
I'm still trying to decide if I like it. The statistics show it's better and safer, but for me it feels like I lose stopping time.
I thought so as well so we took two RK's and did a side by side. Mine was shorter (09 w/anti locks) than an 04 with standard brakes. To be fare we did not switch bikes so it was not a true comparison. Neither one of us wanted to be responsible for dumping the other guys bike.

Quick Reply: ABS brakes saved my ass last night...