General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From GoldWing to Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default From GoldWing to Road King

Much is posted here about our HD's origins. Who made what ? Where ? Shirts from WHERE ? Assembled vs. manufactured ? Let me say this: I don't really care about that crap.
I owned 3 Honda GoldWings. Rode thousands of miles across this country. They all performed without flaw. Absolute efficiency. Never a burp or belch.
When health issues seemed to cut back on our long distance riding, we decided to sell the last Wing and buy a Harley. Not going to tour anymore, why not buy a Harley for weekend excursions and the occasional bike night ?
Then I discovered what most of you know.....my Harley has a soul. A personality. I speaks to me as we ride. A connection that my Honda did not have.
For my Honda's we so efficient that they were more like appliances than motorcycles. Almost no need for me to know or understand anything that went on under all that plastic. Jump on, turn key, push button, ride.
Health has stabilized for the time being, and I've retired from full-time employment. And NEVER have I enjoyed touring so much as now. We're riding 1300 miles to Sturgis this year on our Road King, and I'll listen to every word she says along the way. Ride safe brothers. Glad to be here.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Right on.
Had 3 wings myself.
Ride safe...

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,165 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Nice perspective. Harley touring bikes are indeed, excellent for touring. I bought mine over a GW for a number of reasons - the Harley feel being one of them.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
AzBlu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a recovering Goldwinger as well. Had 2 of them. Awesome motorcycles. Now Im on my second Ultra Classic and never going back. You hit the nail on the head!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar experience when I sold my Honda VTX 1800 and got a Road King. The Road King just felt much better for reasons that I couldn't really explain. Both make great bikes, but the Harley has a more visceral appeal. I currently have a Sporty 1200 and for me that bike is the true essence of motorcycling.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Much is posted here about our HD's origins. Who made what ? Where ? Shirts from WHERE ? Assembled vs. manufactured ? Let me say this: I don't really care about that crap.
I owned 3 Honda GoldWings. Rode thousands of miles across this country. They all performed without flaw. Absolute efficiency. Never a burp or belch.
When health issues seemed to cut back on our long distance riding, we decided to sell the last Wing and buy a Harley. Not going to tour anymore, why not buy a Harley for weekend excursions and the occasional bike night ?
Then I discovered what most of you know.....my Harley has a soul. A personality. I speaks to me as we ride. A connection that my Honda did not have.
For my Honda's we so efficient that they were more like appliances than motorcycles. Almost no need for me to know or understand anything that went on under all that plastic. Jump on, turn key, push button, ride.
Health has stabilized for the time being, and I've retired from full-time employment. And NEVER have I enjoyed touring so much as now. We're riding 1300 miles to Sturgis this year on our Road King, and I'll listen to every word she says along the way. Ride safe brothers. Glad to be here.
By golly, I think he's got it!!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Well put

Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I was much into British sports cars at one time, Triumph Spitfires in particular. I just got tired of the constant little ****les and problems, and the wife got tired of the junkyard I kept for spare parts. So I sold 'em all off and bought a Miata.

Wonderful car. As dependable as the sun. Everything worked without fail, hell I even had AC. But the car had no soul. No need of me to keep her up and going.

I love my Harley for that reason. It comes to me as an unfinished work, and I choose what the end result will be. And what the final outcome looks like. And how long it takes to get there.

Great thing about touring on a Harley, everytime you stop someone wants to strike up a conversation about where you from and where you going.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:54 PM
r evolotion
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it is about the way the bike rides and handles, darn if the FLT handles better then most sport bikes. I have a Fatboy and an FLT, for sheer ease to ride and maneuver the FLT blows me away. Almost like a dirt bike. I am talking around town or on the highway, for twisties and flat out speed I still like Suzi. The Wing? I prefer a Miata...

Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 PM
tmsimmon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my Harley has a soul. A personality, speaks to me as we ride.

Hopefully when she tells you she needs a new tranny or starter and your 1300 miles away you will wish you were on that appliance that just took you places with out question.
I did have an extended warranty, but the starter left me without a bike for two weeks while they tried to decide if it was covered, 1820.00 if it was not covered!
If you are like me you may need a second job to pay for the repairs!

Don't get me wrong, I have 30 years of riding Harleys, love them. just feel the quality is not like it used to be!

Last edited by tmsimmon; 06-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: From GoldWing to Road King