General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just pulled my plugs. Too lean??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
heritageblue has a basic description of a plug chop. You ride the bike at a steady rpm for a bit, pull the clutch and hit the kill switch. Coast to a stop and pull the plugs on the spot to get the most accurate reading. This needs to be done at three different throttle positions: off-idle, mid throttle, and WFO to get an overall picture of your AFR. Also needs to be done with fairly fresh plugs. This is your guide to tuning a carburetor, but it can give you an idea if your EFI is working properly or you need to invest in a tuner. Plenty info on the interwebs on spark plug chop.
Ya, the good ol plugchop. WOT then shut her down with WOT applied. pull over, pull plug and read it. I did this all the time when jetting my Banshee ATV. I was not aware you could do it on a FE engine. You learn something every day.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black King
Those are pretty beat up weathered plugs! Katrina Bike? Seriously dude.
Katrina was in 05', this bike wasn't made yet. Despite the plugs being trashed, the bike appears to be well cared for. Florida is a very humid climate in the summer, and this guy did a fair amount of riding (well compared to most of the garage queens I've seen). Not to mention if he lived or rode by the coast, salt air will rust metal like crazy.

I'm not concerned about the condition of the bike, it is in great condition, at least externally. Just trying to get a feel for the engine health.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by glock221
Ya, the good ol plugchop. WOT then shut her down with WOT applied. pull over, pull plug and read it. I did this all the time when jetting my Banshee ATV. I was not aware you could do it on a FE engine. You learn something every day.
Same principle, the engine don't know if it's being fed by a carb or EFI. All it knows and responds to is AFR. Like I said though, tuning it is a whole different ballgame.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
heritageblue has a basic description of a plug chop. You ride the bike at a steady rpm for a bit, pull the clutch and hit the kill switch. Coast to a stop and pull the plugs on the spot to get the most accurate reading. This needs to be done at three different throttle positions: off-idle, mid throttle, and WFO to get an overall picture of your AFR. Also needs to be done with fairly fresh plugs. This is your guide to tuning a carburetor, but it can give you an idea if your EFI is working properly or you need to invest in a tuner. Plenty info on the interwebs on spark plug chop.
After you posted about it I was doing some reading, pretty interesting. I never heard of the method before.