General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding without windshield

Almost all of my bikes after graduating form dirt bikes have had windshields.

I bought a 2013 Heritage Classic and I Love the look of the bike without the shield, I also like the feel of the bike looking out at the open road without the shield blocking me.

I like riding with the windshield, especially when I will be doing a lot of highway riding, or riding at night and the bugs are bad.

When I have taken the windshield off I have had two problems:
1. Way to much wind in my eyes, so I have ordered a pair of WileyX glasses which should help with that.
2. Wind noise is just to much, very uncomfortable and I do not want to loose my hearing.
As far as the wind noise I do have ear plugs which help tons, but I have to remember to put them in!

Any advice from those who have been riding al-la-natural for a while?

Last edited by t-bear; 06-05-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I'll never have a windshield. I think on my bike, it'd look silly. If I was going to get a bike with one, it'd be a Street Glide that has a very small one.

I wear a 3/4 helmet with a flip up face shield and it blocks bugs all day long. I don't know how I rode without one before.

The wind noise is still there and I'm thinking of getting the ear plugs on a string. The foam ones seem to work there way out of my ears, to where they're only blocking some noise.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, put the shield back on and be comfortable.

I feel exactly like you described. Got tired of eating bugs all the time & getting hit in the face + the wind noise so I decided to put the windshield back on the bike...it's just a more comfortable & enjoyable ride with it on.

Doesn't look as good & bike doesn't handle as crisp with the shield on, but decided having the shield on had more advantages than disadvantages.

If you're gonna ride with it off....the best advise is to get a good pair of glasses that keep the wind out of your eyes, which it sounds like you've already purchased.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took the windshield off my bike for a few days, but it makes the fairing rattle and the batwing just looks funny without the shield.. ;-)

Mark

Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends if you are a rider or just a owner that never rides very far. I have been riding none stop for 44 years and I ride rain or shine and do not care what others think and will never ride with out one again. There are very good reasons they make them.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I always hide behind my windshield to keep all those bugs from splatting on me. After riding for an entire day, sometimes I can hardly see through it because of all the road kill.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
It all depends if you are a rider or just a owner that never rides very far. I have been riding none stop for 44 years and I ride rain or shine and do not care what others think and will never ride with out one again. There are very good reasons they make them.
Nonsense. I'm leaving on a 2000 mile trip this weekend without a windshield. Have done plenty without one. It's all up to personal choice.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I guess you have to decide if posing or comfort is more important to you. I'll pick my comfort over aesthetic every single time.

I take off my windshield in warm weather and around town because I enjoy how it feels. Once I hit the highway or the temps drop below 50, the shield goes back on.

Never once has anyone said to me that my bike looked stupid with the shield on. Not once has a hot chick said that she'll ride with me only if I didn't have the windshield on. I have not lost out on any posing trophies because I had it on.

Of course I don't care what others think, chicks don't come up to me regularly anyway and I've never wanted a trophy. So I do whatever I want to make my bike best suited for my ride.

Last edited by baka1969; 06-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never found one that really works so no Windshield for me total waste of money ?
I did buy one off e-bay one time . People I ask said yes they work nice this one was crap . So until someone comes out with a windshield that I can use no thanks .

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a life long rider....now 64 years old. None of my bikes ever had a windshield. That includes my 06 softail. I (we, my wife of 32 years) Have been all over on the softy. From Southern California to Lake Tahoe, Yosimite, Virgina City,South Rim Grand Canyon, Death Valley and countless days rides. We planned a week long trip to Utah to see Zion, Bryce Canyon, and the North Rim Grand Canyon. I was tired of hanging on for dear life at freeway speeds, 70-75 MPH. Long story short..after trying different shields,,,,some had way to much buffeting...I got a Windvest Shield for the Utah trip,,,, that was almost three years ago. It made the trip so comfortable...the shield hasn't been off since. Does the bike look better with out the shield,,yes, but I didn't buy the bike to look at, I bought it to ride.

Quick Reply: Riding without windshield