General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No windshield here and i routinely ride 400-500 mile days. I've been riding for 30 years. If you're having trouble with the wind its not the wind its your riding position.... The feet up, laid back lazyboy position might look cool but it makes you use your abs, core and back muscles to stay upright. Its this position that makes people think they need backrests, cushy seats and windshields. Add the pressure of the wind and I can see why you're whining about riding without a windshield... Change your bar /seat setup so you are leaning forward at the waist and reaching for the bars... This causes you to lean INTO the wind instead of fighting against it. The wind is then your friend instead of your enemy. It holds you up at highway speeds instead of pushing you back... Theres no buffeting without a windshield. Just throw in a set of earplugs and a pair of wraparound sunglasses and ride... It wont make me popular but i really view windshields as counter to the motorcycling experience. Cars have windshields... Motorcycles don't.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 PM
SteveFLSTF
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always rode without a shield. Last summer bought a medium smoke shield from Long Ride Shields and will never go back. Really like that quiet air pocket from the chest up and no buffeting at all.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When it's rainy, cold or I take a long road trip yes the windshield is great. But in summer I love having it off. I wear a FF Shoei all the time anymore, so no issues with bugs or noise. The ride is very enjoyable to me. About 90% of my riding is at 75 mph on the freeway, 65 miles each way to work. The wind I really don't notice anymore. So for me if it's high 50's temps or above the windshield is off now that summer is here.

I didn't like the wind noise with my half helmet, so earplugs for sure. And yes good goggles with molded foam around the eyes if you dont have a face shield.

It all boils down to preference. Ride how you want and have fun. In winter no way would I ride without the windshield, but in spring and summer it's off most of those warmer months.