General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have a windshield. Never had issues. Part of riding, to me, was realizing bugs, rain, etc would be hitting me. So whatever.

Anyway, if you have to "hold on", you have the wrong seat for your riding style. When I got my Sundowner deep bucket, I didn't have to "hold on" anymore. . .my *** stays put at any speed. Other than that, ordering new glasses was a good idea, and I just wear ear plugs. Hearos Ultimates work well for me. Use 2 or 3 times, then toss and put in a new pair. Amazon sells them in (close to) bulk.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a full face helmet without exception, so a windshield is redundant for me IMO. As I have a batwing, some sort of windshield is necessary, but I definitely prefer the short ones I can see over....otherwise I'm only happy at the beginning of the ride when the screen is perfectly clean and clear of bugs, dust, etc.

Dave

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM
JBrooks271
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been thinking about a windshield for my bike, though I really don't care to have one on it. If I get one, it will be a quick release that I can just put on when I know I'll be riding on the interstate. Past that, I really have no need for one. My FF helmet serves me well as far as taking care of wind and noise. I'm going to get a half helmet soon, and I have some ear plugs to deal with that, but I'll see then if I feel that a windshield is necessary when that time comes.

Aesthetically, I would prefer to never have a shield on my bike. I just don't like the way they look on sportsters or most other bikes. Having said that though, I'm not one to base those kinds of decisions solely on looks.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Of course a windshield is going to give you a more pleasant ride. But then, so does an Oldsmobile over a Mini-Cooper. I wouldn't be caught dead in an Oldsmobile, but on the right bike, I'd sport a windshield.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
402capt
Cruiser

I've been riding since'66. In all that time I have owned one bike with a windshield. I didn't like it much. I haven't used a shield since 1984. My muscles don't ache, my hearing is fine, and I learned a long time ago that bugs wash off. For nearly 20 years I've made an annual round trip from Arizona to Tampa Florida so my rides are not just local bar hopping excursions.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM
45fan
Tourer

I never had a windshield before I bought the switchback and was not sure i wanted to ride with it. I have to tell you I love it... It is very solid and makes fast rides much more relaxing. Maybe I am getting old but I really am more relaxed without battling the wind at 70mph. I feel a lot better when I get where I going too. I was surprised but I have only taken it off to clean the bike.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
RapidHamster
6th Gear

I wear Oakley Windjackets and love em. I also wear Etymotic Research earplugs. I can still hear conversations with them on, but they block the wind noise.

At night, or in the rain I have a big pair of clear goggles that I keep in my toolbag.

If I take a trip out to the Hill country to ride, I'll put the windshield on for the highway drive down there, then pop it off once I get there and leave it in the tent or cabin. Mainly just for bugs or sand etc at highway speeds.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's personal choice...there have never been windshields on my bikes...

When I need a windshield, my personal choice is to drive the Jag...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 06-06-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Of course a windshield is going to give you a more pleasant ride.
That's purely your personal opinion, not a fact that covers all riders.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by 402capt
I've been riding since'66. In all that time I have owned one bike with a windshield. I didn't like it much. I haven't used a shield since 1984. My muscles don't ache, my hearing is fine, and I learned a long time ago that bugs wash off. For nearly 20 years I've made an annual round trip from Arizona to Tampa Florida so my rides are not just local bar hopping excursions.
+1

I never ache either, my head and half-helmet never get whipped around all over the place, nor does my neck hurt from the wind, my hearing is also fine, and so long as I can find a pond in the summer where the water has warmed up a little I'll jump in once in a while to clean up. All this and I'm a gimp with two crushed discs and 85% of my torn muscles and tendons on the left half of my back after the jobsite accident 13 years ago never healed.

Quick Reply: Riding without windshield