General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I have 2 half helmets and A full face modular.

The full face gets all the duty now. I would have to dig the other 2 out of the garage to wear them.

The full face takes care of wind and noise.

No windshield on the bike less than 100 miles.

Windshield goes on for most rides longer than 100 miles.

Windshield and FF helmet = comfort.
Really long runs, I add ear plugs.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
RoadKing_Bob
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I put the windsheild on when I ride to work because I have to use my glasses due to my contacts dry out too quick at work and I use clip-on sun glasses over my everyday glasses, this set-up is tight enough to stay on my head with the windshield on but would blow off if I tried without the windshield. But I have been riding without the windshield most of the time because I just like the wind in my face, to me the bike feels different without the windshield, BUT with that said I will admit not liking the facial massage from the bugs, stones and anything else thrown up by other bikes or cars!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Until I added my Quarter Fairing this week, I rode my 60 mile (round trip) commute without a shield, all freeway, and as close to 80mph as traffic would allow.

I learned a few things:

1. Glasses won't cut it, you need eye encapsulating goggles. Bobsters are cheap and very effective.

2. Unless you like the taste of bugs, wear a face mask to keep them out of your teeth. I wear a Zan neoprene that I can easily pull off if I decide to get off the freeway and cruise up the 101.

3. Use poly/solid riser bushings. When I replaced my stock rubber bushings, they were deformed and mishapen, presumably from me hanging on to the bars to keep from being ripped off the bike.

4. You'll get used to it. When I first started freeway riding without a shield, my neck hurt, my hands hurt, even my elbows hurt. You're using muscles that you don't normally use, and they will get stronger with repeated use over time. Trouble is, I'm [cough, cough] 40 something, and not as "hard" as I was in my 20s. So I was looking for something a little less fatiguing.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

No windshield = wind noise unless your deaf. Wearing some proper fitting ear plugs or a ff / 3/4 helmet are really the only options other than going slow. Glasses that wrap around your face work great for riding, Before my prescription glasses I use to wear safety glasses.... And earplugs
If your eyes water you need different eye wear

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

what's a windshield?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
mesquite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want a windshield. I ride in very windy west Texas and don't feel buffeted...or not as much as with a windshield. I enjoy the feel, the better vision. I wear a bandana that covers my forehead and ears, and a buff for just under my goggles. The buff is great, it eliminates the hard bug hits and makes breathing easier.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I like wind protection, so I'll either use a windshield or wear a full face helmet.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
r evolotion
Banned

I live in Fla. it is not just a windshield it is a rain shield. I don't mind the wind so much, I wear earplugs, but the rain, man I just don't feel safe riding blind.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great replies everyone Thank You!!!

I ride 12,000 to 15,000 per year and have been doing so since 2001. Started riding in 1971 but really got into it in 2001.

Does that make me a poser?

I agree with some that a windshield has a purpose and I enjoy it when I am on the highway for a long ride, commuting to work 50 minutes on back roads each way would be perfect for no windshield.

I just pulled out my Bell 500 3/4 helmet with shield and will try that until I get my glasses that wrap and have a foam inset to block wind.

I got my bike to ride and to look good LOL I want my cake and eat it!!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
BareBones
Tourer

I don't have a windshield. I will probably get a clip on eventually for long highway rides but as of now I don't feel I need it. The wind doesn't bother me under 80mph and the bugs don't bug me all that much. It's all part of riding in my opinion. The only reason I would want one is to reduce the neck strain from fighting the wind on long rides. Cruising above 75 for long enough tends to put some strain on my neck. I'd go with the clip on though for sure so I can pop it off as soon as I get to wherever I'm going.

Quick Reply: Riding without windshield